Nathan, Installer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.
59725966

My screen has developed large splotches in lower right side

Customer Question

my screen has developed large white splotches in lower right side it is a e 550i B2 called on saturday case 3 137 796 61. iti service was supposed to call back Monday
JA: What's the model number of your TV? How old is it?
Customer: 2 years + now out of Costco warrenty
JA: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?
Customer: menu works I tried resetting to factory setup - now I can't access mu sound bar - But I can watch the white splotch is about one eighth of the screen
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: a few weeks maybe unaware of any caused. May I send you a photo of the screen on email?
JA: Anything else you want the tv expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Submitted: 25 days ago.
Category: TV
Expert:  Nathan replied 25 days ago.

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review your details here.

Expert:  Nathan replied 25 days ago.

To be clear, this is an online based tech support service, justanswer.com, there is no warranty coverage of any kind for your tv at this point, the vizio warranty is only a year and costco is for the 2nd year. Unless you purchased an additional extended warranty, it would not be covered.

Unfortunately, the issues you are experiencing are symptomatic of an internal hardware defect, meaning a faulty tcon or main/control board, though there are many possible failure points including the lcd panel, which is not possible to fix. This issue could be a manufacturing defect, but is also often caused by a power event (shock/surge, prolonged over/under voltage condition, etc).

This could also be the result of age related wear and tear; as a 2014 model tv, that type of failure wouldn’t be surprising for this brand. These vizio tvs are built for a low price point, not for quality or longevity; it is normal and expected for them to last just a few years at most.

There is one step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluation:
1) Unplug the power cord from the outlet

2) Wait at least 1 hour (60+ Minutes)

3) Press and hold the power button (on the set, not the remote) for 60 seconds
4) Keep holding power button while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after. When plugging back in, go directly to the wall outlet, bypassing any power strips or surge protectors.

If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm an internal hardware failure.

This is something that would require repairs to correct; if you're thinking about a do it yourself repair, you'll need to be comfortable and skilled with electronics repairs, which could include dismantling the set (removing the back panel of the tv), diagnostics testing with a multimeter, changing out boards as needed, and possibly desoldering/removing and soldering/replacing individual components.

If you’re considering repair at a local shop, you’ll find a typical repair to be around $300 for diagnostics, parts, and labor.

For a tv of this size/age however, replacement will make more sense. You can get a brand new LED tv with a fresh warranty in the $500 range, updating to the latest 4k picture quality in the process.

Depending how you’d like to proceed here, I can help with finding parts, finding a repair shop, or recommending replacement options. Just let me know.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,