Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience in the field and 5+ yrs. online, down to component level.
13948492

My Dynex will power on and I can see video. But, within a

Customer Question

My Dynex will power on and I can see video. But, within a minute, the screen goes black. I still have volume though
JA: What's the model number of your TV? How old is it?
Customer: It's about 6 years old Where do I find the model? this is so handy!! I can't believe I found this site!
JA: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?
Customer: doesn't matter the input. Its a model DX-46L50A11
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: this morning only
JA: Anything else you want the tv expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: nope
Submitted: 26 days ago.
Category: TV
Expert:  Louie replied 26 days ago.

Hi and welcome to the site, I’m Louie. Sorry you had to wait awhile but I’ll do my best to help.

Initially, bear with us; re-confirm and post back with the complete model number of the Dynex.

Customer: replied 26 days ago.
dx-46L15OA11 Rev A
S/N is 2406L45KS70001795
Customer: replied 26 days ago.
The TV turns on every time and the picture is great when I first turn it on. After about a minute, it goes black. But, I can still hear it
Expert:  Louie replied 26 days ago.

Appreciate the additional information.

Consider an experiment (if have not been done). Power on the TV and set to a program/channel. If at all possible, darken the room where the TV is. Wait for about 5 minutes or more. Shine a flashlight at an angle (not directly) and nearly but not touching the screen where the volume level / menu display is usually seen. Press the VOL UP/DOWN or MENU button and note if a dark/ghostly image of the volume level or MENU could be seen.

Postback results.

The above is a test to determine if it is a backlighting issue.

Customer: replied 26 days ago.
I turned the tv on and a show turned on. In 20 seconds, the screen went black. I shone the flashlight from every angle, it is completely black. no guost images
Expert:  Louie replied 26 days ago.

I understand.

The described symptom then would point to an internal hardware issue.

Are you then considering a DIY (do-it-yourself) repair approach? If yes, do you have access to and familiar with a multi-meter ?

Customer: replied 26 days ago.
I am familiar. I will look to see if we have one in the tool shed. What if I don't have one?
Expert:  Louie replied 26 days ago.

If no multi-meter, then we can not perform any voltage tests.

The repairs would be a blind board replacement to serve as both an attempt of a repair and as a test by process of elimination.

Customer: replied 26 days ago.
I don't have another board to replace it with!
Expert:  Louie replied 26 days ago.

A replacement board would have to be purchased online.

Would you be comfortable proceeding with this approach?

Customer: replied 26 days ago.
If the power is going to the video card and then crapping out, couldn't it be a wiring issue? Or dirt? What if I took the back off and inspected for a bad wire or dirt build up? I don't want to order a new board if the problem isn't permanent. The picture turns on every time I repower the tv
Customer: replied 26 days ago.
Can't you walk me through trying to repair the problem instead of repairing the problem? Replacing a system board would cost just as much as buying a new TV. That's no help
Customer: replied 26 days ago.
10 November 2016 08:57Can't you walk me through trying to repair the problem instead of replacing the problem?
Expert:  Louie replied 26 days ago.

That reply on blind board replacement was in response to "... What if I don't have one (multi-meter)?..."

I can "...walk me through trying to repair the problem..." but with the use of a multi-meter and even perhaps a soldering iron.

Perhaps you would prefer an alternate approach / second opinion to your concern.

The question would be re-opened as I would rather opt out.

Still, good luck with the Dynex.

Customer: replied 26 days ago.
I don't have a multi-meter. I would like to escalate then yes please. Purchasing items that cost more then the TV does not resolve my problem
Expert:  Louie replied 26 days ago.

If we have pushed through with meter tests / board replacements, I could also have posted potential online sellers of pulled out / refurbished replacement board(s) that sells for less than $50 CAD

Customer: replied 26 days ago.
I want to avoid purchasing anything yet at this point. I want to try to repair the existing TV in whole. I've already paid for this service. Plus, I'd have to buy a volt meter or multi-meter and a system board. There must be something else I can try.
Customer: replied 26 days ago.
come on Louie, let's get creative!
Expert:  Louie replied 26 days ago.

Sorry but no; no multi-meter (readings) = diagnosis is guess work.

Customer: replied 26 days ago.
it's not guess work. It's process of elimination work. It just takes a little longer :) If you don't have an answer, will you please escalate?
Expert:  Louie replied 26 days ago.

I already have opted out twice! However, everytime you reply back, the question is thrown back at me.

I have provided the means/answer as above posted even the "...no multi-meter...blind board replacement to serve as both an attempt of a repair and as a test by process of elimination..."

Please be patient and wait until somebody else picks up the problem and post their reply.

Thanks.

Customer: replied 26 days ago.
I am waiting to see an escalation