Nathan, Installer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.
59725966

Just reading on the clicking that my Philips tv does,

Customer Question

Hello, Just reading on the clicking that my Philips tv does
JA: What's the model number of your TV? How old is it?
Customer: 50pfp5332d/37
JA: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?
Customer: 7 yrs old about
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: it has happened three times and all I did was unplug it and let it sit for a couple of months
JA: Anything else you want the tv expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: just made clicking noise nothing else happened
Submitted: 25 days ago.
Category: TV
Expert:  Nathan replied 25 days ago.

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble with this but I'll do my best to help you.

Expert:  Nathan replied 25 days ago.

Unfortunately, the issues you are experiencing are symptomatic of an internal hardware defect, meaning a faulty power supply or main/control board, though there are many possible failure points. This issue could be a manufacturing defect, but is also often caused by a power event (shock/surge, prolonged over/under voltage condition, etc).

This could also be the result of age related wear and tear; as a 2007 model tv, that type of failure wouldn’t be surprising; this tv is significantly past its service life at this point, and plasma technology (which philips was never very good at) is now obsolete.

There is one step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluation:
1) Unplug the power cord from the outlet

2) Wait at least 1 hour (60+ Minutes)

3) Press and hold the power button (on the set, not the remote) for 60 seconds
4) Keep holding power button while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after. When plugging back in, go directly to the wall outlet, bypassing any power strips or surge protectors.

If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm an internal hardware failure.

This is something that would require repairs to correct; if you're thinking about a do it yourself repair, you'll need to be comfortable and skilled with electronics repairs, which could include dismantling the set (removing the back panel of the tv), diagnostics testing with a multimeter, changing out boards as needed, and possibly desoldering/removing and soldering/replacing individual components.

If you’re considering repair at a local shop, you’ll find a typical repair to be around $300 for diagnostics, parts, and labor; assuming parts can even be found, which is unlikely.

For a tv of this size/age however, replacement will make more sense. You can get a brand new LED tv with a fresh warranty and 2-4 times the picture quailty in the $400 range.

Depending how you’d like to proceed here, I can help with finding parts, finding a repair shop, or recommending replacement options. Just let me know.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,

Customer: replied 25 days ago.
That is the only question I have.
Expert:  Nathan replied 25 days ago.

Okay

If you have any other questions, just let me know. Otherwise, please take a moment to rate my service as this is the only way I am credited for my time. Hopefully I have earned 5 Stars but if not please let me know what I can do to ensure you are satisfied. I also invite you to contact me directly with any future support needs at http://bit.ly/1QwLxGh and ask for Nathan.

Thank you, ***** ***** a nice day,

Customer: replied 25 days ago.
3 stars
Expert:  Nathan replied 25 days ago.

Thanks. I am sorry I can't give a more optimistic answer, this is really the natural end of a tv that is at over double its service life. For comparison purposes, if you had a tech come out on site, you'd be charged a $125 diagnostic fee for the exact same answer.