Nathan, Installer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.
59725966

I can't turn on my TV. I change the battery 7 un plug the

Customer Question

I can't turn on my TV. I change the battery 7 un plug the TV, nothing
JA: What's the make and model of your tv, and has turning it on been a problem in the past?
Customer: smart TV Visio E320i-B2
JA: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?
Customer: the controls only show red light but it wont turn on the TV
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: just this morning
JA: Anything else you want the tv expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 29 days ago.
Category: TV
Expert:  Nathan replied 29 days ago.

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble with this but I'll do my best to help you.

Customer: replied 29 days ago.
thank you
Expert:  Nathan replied 29 days ago.

Unfortunately, the issues you are experiencing are symptomatic of an internal hardware defect, meaning a faulty power supply or main/control board, though there are many possible failure points. This issue could be a manufacturing defect, but is also often caused by a power event (shock/surge, prolonged over/under voltage condition, etc).

This could also be the result of age related wear and tear; as a 2014 model tv, that type of failure wouldn’t be surprising. This tv is past its service life at this point, especially for this brand - these vizio tvs are built for a low price point, not for quality or reliability. It is normal and expected for them to last just a year or two.

There is one step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluation:
1) Unplug the power cord from the outlet

2) Wait at least 1 hour (60+ Minutes)

3) Press and hold the power button (on the set, not the remote) for 60 seconds
4) Keep holding power button while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after. When plugging back in, go directly to the wall outlet, bypassing any power strips or surge protectors.

If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm an internal hardware failure.

This is something that would require repairs to correct; if you're thinking about a do it yourself repair, you'll need to be comfortable and skilled with electronics repairs, which could include dismantling the set (removing the back panel of the tv), diagnostics testing with a multimeter, changing out boards as needed, and possibly desoldering/removing and soldering/replacing individual components.

If you’re considering repair at a local shop, you’ll find a typical repair to be around $300 for diagnostics, parts, and labor.

For a tv of this size/age however, replacement will make more sense. You can get a brand new LED tv with a fresh warranty, from a more reputable brand, in the $150-200 range.

Depending how you’d like to proceed here, I can help with finding parts, finding a repair shop, or recommending replacement options. Just let me know.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,

Customer: replied 29 days ago.
there is no power button on the set
Expert:  Nathan replied 29 days ago.

There is, it is at the bottom left corner, on the back side of the tv. There is a single button there which is for input and power, but if you hold it, it acts as the power button.

Expert:  Nathan replied 23 days ago.

Hello, it appears your question is still open.

Do you need more help with this?
If so, just reply back on this page. If I’ve answered your question, please let me know you are satisfied, to conclude our session.

Please note: You have already paid your fee to the site; I'd like to help you and provide value for that fee, but I do need to communicate with you here to do so.