Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience in the field and 5+ yrs. online, down to component level.
13948492

I have a vertical black box over the picture of my JVC tv. I

Customer Question

I have a vertical black box over the picture of my JVC tv. I have tried to remove iy by changing the CC, but it didn't help
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your JVC is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: It is 3 yrs old.
JA: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?
Customer: on all TV's?
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: Nothi
JA: Anything else you want the tv expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: No.
Category: TV
Expert:  Nathan replied 7 months ago.

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble with this but I'll do my best to help you.

Expert:  Nathan replied 7 months ago.

What is the model of the tv?

Does this happen on all inputs, meaning cable/satellite, dvd, etc?

If you bring up the JVC menu screens, is the box showing on top of it?

Expert:  Nathan replied 7 months ago.

Hello, it appears your question is still open.

Do you need more help with this?

Please note: You have already paid your fee to the site; I'd like to help you and provide value for that fee, but I do need to communicate with you here to do so.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
my question has not been answered.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Expert:  Nathan replied 7 months ago.

Could you please supply the details I requested? I had sent you a message a few minutes after your question was posted, needing some details from you:

What is the model of the tv?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I have already paid $28 and my question still hasn't been answered.
Expert:  Nathan replied 7 months ago.

I cannot provide you an answer with no details to your problem. I have asked a few times for some specific information, which is necessary for me to formulate an answer.

I have sent you a phone call offer as well, if you prefer to communicate that way.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I have provided that information.
JVC
It happens on all inputs.
The box is on top of the menu screens.
I do not want a phone call that will cost me an additional $26 on top of the $28 I have already paid and still haven't gotten an answer. I have received links via email to pro vide this info, but when I click on them, I am sent to a page where I am supposed to provide my credit card info.
Expert:  Nathan replied 7 months ago.

Thank you. That is the first and only time that any of this information has been available to me. The call is entirely optional, it was sent at your request when you provided a phone number to call.

But, I still need the tv MODEL number. JVC is the brand, 32 is the size. I need the actual model number printed on the back of the tv, please.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
The model number is *****
Expert:  Nathan replied 7 months ago.

Good morning Deb.

Thank you for the information.

There are 2 possible causes of this issue, either the tv is in a store demo mode, or there is a hardware fault.

Go into the menu (assuming you can see it well enough to do so) and under Setup you should see Reset All Settings.

Choose that option, the tv will clear the internal memory and restart, when it does it will prompt you through the initial setup wizard again to set the date, language, channel scan, and most importantly when it gets to the TV MODE setting, choose HOME (not store).

If that doesn't help, let me know and I'll advise further.

Thanks,

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Hi Nathan,
Thank you for your response.
I tried resetting all settings, then it asked me for a password! This tv used to be my mother's and my brother set it up for her. I will email him to see if he remembers what password ***** used.
Thank you,
Deb
Expert:  Nathan replied 7 months ago.

You're welcome, Deb. If you can't find it let me know and we may be able to override or reset it.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I have contacted my brother and he didn't add a password ***** the tv.
Expert:  Nathan replied 7 months ago.

Thanks Deb, initially please try the factory default of 0000

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I tried 0000 for the password ***** it worked. I clicked to reset all settings, but the box ix still there.
Expert:  Nathan replied 6 months ago.

Thank you for trying, Deb.

One last check - if you disconnect everything from the tv except power (cable, dvd, etc), does the box still show?