Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

Own a Viera HDPlasma 50"tv. It has functioned well so far. A

Customer Question

own a Viera HDPlasma 50"tv. It has functioned well so far. A few days ago it stop working. We still have the small red light that appears on the front but we are net able to start it. Even when we press on the power button under the screen. Is their a technician I can call have this TV inspected? I live in Montreal, QC, Canada.
JA: What's the make and model of your tv, and can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: Panasonic Viera HD plasma TV - T50 I believe it was purchased in 2009.
JA: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: 2 weeks. At first we were not able to start the TV with the remote control. We had to press on the Power button. Today the Power button does not start the TV. We have not undertaken anything else because we are not knowledgeable.
JA: Anything else you want the electronics expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 1 month ago.

Hello, Sorry you're having problems. Offhand the red light being stuck on like this indicates the TV's "Mainboard" (processor board) has locked up and in many cases requires replacement of that part to fix the issue.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 month ago.

Given the set is almost 8 years old and the average cost of repairs is in the $300 range, it's not generally a cost effective fix.

However it's worth it to try a hard reset, as sometimes the processor in the TV can simply have locked up.

The first thing you would try, is disconnect the set from power, then press and hold the power button on the TV itself (not the remote), for 10 seconds and release. Then plug the set back in, and also check that the power cord is connected tight at the TV as well. Press power once, and see if the set powers up normally. Try this procedure up to 2 times, and please let me know what happens.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 month ago.

If you're still having the same problem beyond those steps, then this means the Mainboard is "Locked" in standby due to an internal fault with the part. There are no other pushbutton fixes for this and the set will require service. Given the age of the TV and the fact that a brand new 50" LED Smart TV starts at around $450, it generally does not make much sense to put that kind of money towards repairing this set. However if you'd like to inquire about repairs, or seek a 2nd opinion, you can use the link below to locate a shop in your area if you'd like:

http://tvrepaircanada.com/

Other than that, I'm sorry for the bad news here and wish there were a quick fix.

If you need further assistance let me know. Before you go, PLEASE DO click at least a 3 STAR RATING, at the top of your screen. That is how I am credited for my efforts by the site. You can follow up any time as needed at no additional cost.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 month ago.

Do you need further assistance with this?