Richard, Technician
Experience:  Avid TV Technician
32989067

When the TV is powered on the light flashes, but the picture

Customer Question

When the TV is powered on the green light flashes, but the picture doesn't show. Once in a while the picture will show up for 1-2 seconds then the TV automatically shuts off. We have unplugged and checked wiring. All is good, and the remote is fine as well.
JA: What's the make and model of your tv? Have you tried unplugging it and leaving it off for a few hours?
Customer: mitsubishi WD-73c12
JA: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?
Customer: The TV won't stay on long enough to get to the menu
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: Since last Thursday. There was a lightning storm about 20-30 miles away the night before, but there was no lightning or storm in the immediate area, and none of the other electronics (including the exact same TV in the bedroom) has this problem.
JA: Anything else you want the tv expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: Not really. We just don't know what else to do
Submitted: 27 days ago.
Category: TV
Expert:  Richard replied 27 days ago.

Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.

Please note, a rating is only needed when we are finished.

Can you please remove the power to the TV (so unplug it from the power socket).

Then on the actual TV, hold the power button for 60 seconds then release.

Then wait 10 minutes, connect the power again to the TV, turn it on and tell me please if it is now operating correctly.

Let me know the results please

Customer: replied 27 days ago.
Tried it and it stayed on about 20 seconds and then shut off again, but now nothing except a fast flashing green light.
Expert:  Richard replied 27 days ago.

thanks

Can you disconnect all cables from it please, including power. wait 1 minute then connect only the power cable

Then turn it on

What then happens?

Customer: replied 27 days ago.
Exact same. Stayed on for 10 secs then shut off.
Expert:  Richard replied 27 days ago.

Thanks

It is the internal power board that has faulted.

I am really sorry about this and you are going to have to return the TV to have it replaced. It will be covered by the warranty if this has not expired, and the replacement will be done at no cost to you.

I am really sorry about this, and if you have problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

And if you can take a second to rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the page, then submit, that would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you