Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

My pioneer elite receiver stopped working when I hit the all

Customer Question

my pioneer elite receiver stopped working when I hit the all function on the remote. An optic cable is connected from my tv to the receiver. I can't figure out how to get it to work.
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Pioneer is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: 2013 maybe it says sc-71
JA: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?
Customer: The tv menu works fine. I think the problem is only with the receiver and receiver remote.
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: since last night. as soon as i hit the all button it changed the setting and now I'm not sure how to get it back. Picture is fine just don't have sound.
JA: Anything else you want the tv expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 1 month ago.

Hello and sorry you're having problems. Please try a soft reset of the receiver as outlined below, and if that does not work to restore the sound, then proceed with a hard reset (resetting the main unit):

1) Unplug the receiver from power for 10 seconds and then plug it back in. Turn it on and check the various sources on the receiver to see if there is any sound (Cbl/SAT, DVD, or even the built in FM tuner).

Expert:  Aric replied 1 month ago.

I'm also not seeing an "All Function" button on the remote, so if you can double check and see what button was pressed, that can shed some light on the problem.

Or, we can proceed to the steps for "Resetting the System" as outlined on page 71 of the manual at the link below:

https://www.pioneerelectronics.com/StaticFiles/Manuals/Home/SC-71_OperatingInstructions04121.pdf

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I'm only getting sound from the tuner. I tried this last night
Expert:  Aric replied 1 month ago.

Okay not sure what you did last night since it wasn't posted. SO what did you do last night- unplug the unit or reset the system settings?

Expert:  Aric replied 1 month ago.

Are you still with me here? Did you just unplug it, or perform the "Resetting the SYstem"?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I unplugged the optic cable last night. I just in plugged the receiver a bit a go.
Expert:  Aric replied 1 month ago.

I am not available by phone.

Please proceed to the steps for "Resetting the System" as outlined on page 71 of the manual at the link below:

Also would be worth knowing what specific "Source" it is you're selecting where there is no sound (in other words, I understand there's an optical cable, but is it a "Cable BOX" you're viewing where there's picture and no sound)? If it's just when using a Cable Box, have you tried a reboot of the box by pulling it's power cord from the wall for 10 seconds (the cable box power cord) and then plugging it back in to reboot the box?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I'm using ROKU on a Smart Tv.
Expert:  Aric replied 1 month ago.

Got it. Perform the "Resetting the System" steps then and let me know what happens.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 month ago.

Once that is done you may need to setup the receiver again, depending on how you had it configured.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
It seems strange that it would be so messed up after hitting one button on the remote. I'm not sure I can even reset it without causing more problems.
Expert:  Aric replied 1 month ago.

Okay then good luck.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I'm trying.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I reset it.