Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

The remote does not work. I have changed the ir sensor and

Customer Question

the remote does not work. I have changed the ir sensor and it worked for a day and then stopped
JA: What's the model number of your TV? How old is it?
Customer: jvc 37 about 3 years old
JA: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?
Customer: the cable remote will change the channels
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: it just stopped working about months ago
JA: Anything else you want the tv expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 30 days ago.
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 30 days ago.

What's the MODEL NUMBER off of the back of the TV as asked please?

Also, do you have a cell phone camera or digital camera handy?

Expert:  Aric replied 30 days ago.

Please review my reply to proceed.

Customer: replied 30 days ago.
JVC37BC3000
Expert:  Aric replied 30 days ago.

Thanks. Do you have a cell phone camera or digital camera handy so we can test the remote please??

Expert:  Aric replied 30 days ago.

We need to test the IR emitter on the remote to see if the issue is your remote or your Mainboard. We need a digital camera or cell phone camera to see the IR emitter (it's not visible with the naked eye), Let me know so we can proceed.

Customer: replied 30 days ago.
I have checked the remote signal with my phone camera and it does blink
Expert:  Aric replied 30 days ago.

Okay, since the remote is operational and you already changed the IR sensor, then there's two possible culprits: 1) The IR sensor you received was weak/intermittent and failed after that initial use. Or 2) The Mainboard's processor that the IR sensor on the TV connects to is faulty. So, not sure where you purchased the IR sensor from, and if you've checked the remote SINCE you replaced the IR sensor, but if the remote and sensor are not the issue then the Mainboard in the set needs to be replaced. Let me know if you have any other info to help narrow this down. Those three things make up all of the remote's IR sensing and command processing in the set.

Oh, and one other thing to check is- ARE the TV's physical buttons working as they should?

Expert:  Aric replied 30 days ago.

I'm unsure why you're unable to reply, but I'm here to assist you if you need further help. Or if you're certain the IR sensor and remote are not the problem then the only other component in the signal chain is the Mainboard so you would need to replace that. Let me know if you need further assistance.

Expert:  Aric replied 30 days ago.

If you need further assistance let me know. Before you go, PLEASE DO click at least a 3 STAR RATING, at the top of your screen. That is how I am credited for my efforts by the site. You can follow up any time as needed at no additional cost.

Expert:  Aric replied 24 days ago.

Hello, I was just following up to see if you needed further help. The site shows that since the question is open that you are still looking for help. Or, if you received the information you were looking for-could you please kindly rate my service POSITIVELY (by clicking a 3-5 star rating at the top of the page) to reflect that? Thanks in advance.