Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

I have a roku account When I open it on my tv the screen

Customer Question

I have a roku account When I open it on my tv the screen stays black with the word roku jumping around on the screen. Usually when I open it the word roku does come up and I click ok and then my Netflix comes up and I can open that. Tonight it only stays on the black screen with the word roku. Can you guide me with this Thank You
Submitted: 27 days ago.
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 27 days ago.

Hello and sorry you're having problems. You're going to need to reset the Roku in order to fix this. But I need to know which Roku you have- is it the Roku "Stick", or a "Box"?

Expert:  Aric replied 27 days ago.

Or, I can give you the reset steps for both types of Roku:

For the Box type: shut the TV off, and then unplug the Power cord adapter from the back of the Roku for 10 seconds then plug it back in. Then locate the tiny "pin-hole" reset button on the upper right corner of the Roku and use a paperclip to press and hold this button for 8 seconds and release. Then turn on your TV. The Roku letters will show on the screen and the green light on the remote will blink indicating it's "pairing".

Expert:  Aric replied 27 days ago.

For the Roku "Stick" perform the same steps, but the "Reset" button is actually on the side of the stick instead of the back of the box.

Expert:  Aric replied 27 days ago.

Do you need further assistance with this.

Expert:  Aric replied 27 days ago.

Let me know if you need more help. Also, could you please click a POSITIVE RATING (3-5 stars at the top of the page) and click SUBMIT so that I am credited for working with you today?

Customer: replied 27 days ago.
Aric I did those steps and now the black screen is gone and the screen shows a white screen with the word channel store and next to that is the Netflix box but it wont let me go to netflix
Expert:  Aric replied 27 days ago.

Which Roku do you have. The Box or the Stick?

Expert:  Aric replied 27 days ago.

If the remote is not working then it sounds like you may need to replace the batteries in the remote? Have you tried that yet?

Customer: replied 27 days ago.
A box
Expert:  Aric replied 27 days ago.

Customer: replied 27 days ago.
The remote works when I am on just tv
Expert:  Aric replied 27 days ago.

That doesn't make any sense. What remote are you using? The Roku remote only operates the Roku. When "on TV" this would be a Cable or TV remote when doing that. Please elaborate.

Customer: replied 27 days ago.
I have always used just my tv remote to watch Netflix
Expert:  Aric replied 27 days ago.

TV remote doesn't do anything to operate Roku.

Expert:  Aric replied 27 days ago.

So if using Roku then grab the Roku remote and try that. Let me know.

Customer: replied 27 days ago.
I don't have a roku remote
Customer: replied 27 days ago.
Aric. I am tired and don't want to fuss with it anymore. Thanks for you help though. I appreciate it.