Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

I have a roku account When I open it on my tv the screen

Customer Question

I have a roku account When I open it on my tv the screen stays black with the word roku jumping around on the screen. Usually when I open it the word roku does come up and I click ok and then my Netflix comes up and I can open that. Tonight it only stays on the black screen with the word roku. Can you guide me with this Thank You
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 7 months ago.

Hello and sorry you're having problems. You're going to need to reset the Roku in order to fix this. But I need to know which Roku you have- is it the Roku "Stick", or a "Box"?

Expert:  Aric replied 7 months ago.

Or, I can give you the reset steps for both types of Roku:

For the Box type: shut the TV off, and then unplug the Power cord adapter from the back of the Roku for 10 seconds then plug it back in. Then locate the tiny "pin-hole" reset button on the upper right corner of the Roku and use a paperclip to press and hold this button for 8 seconds and release. Then turn on your TV. The Roku letters will show on the screen and the green light on the remote will blink indicating it's "pairing".

Expert:  Aric replied 7 months ago.

For the Roku "Stick" perform the same steps, but the "Reset" button is actually on the side of the stick instead of the back of the box.

Expert:  Aric replied 7 months ago.

Do you need further assistance with this.

Expert:  Aric replied 7 months ago.

Let me know if you need more help. Also, could you please click a POSITIVE RATING (3-5 stars at the top of the page) and click SUBMIT so that I am credited for working with you today?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Aric I did those steps and now the black screen is gone and the screen shows a white screen with the word channel store and next to that is the Netflix box but it wont let me go to netflix
Expert:  Aric replied 7 months ago.

Which Roku do you have. The Box or the Stick?

Expert:  Aric replied 7 months ago.

If the remote is not working then it sounds like you may need to replace the batteries in the remote? Have you tried that yet?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
A box
Expert:  Aric replied 7 months ago.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
The remote works when I am on just tv
Expert:  Aric replied 7 months ago.

That doesn't make any sense. What remote are you using? The Roku remote only operates the Roku. When "on TV" this would be a Cable or TV remote when doing that. Please elaborate.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I have always used just my tv remote to watch Netflix
Expert:  Aric replied 7 months ago.

TV remote doesn't do anything to operate Roku.

Expert:  Aric replied 7 months ago.

So if using Roku then grab the Roku remote and try that. Let me know.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I don't have a roku remote
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Aric. I am tired and don't want to fuss with it anymore. Thanks for you help though. I appreciate it.