Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

Tv remote not working correctly and i put in new batteries,

Customer Question

tv remote not working correctly and i put in new batteries
JA: What's the make and model of your television? And is the remote the same, universal, or for another device?
Customer: remote came with tv...model# *****# *****
JA: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?
Customer: only when i try to come back from watching a dvd and i try to hit input and then hdmi1
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: it was fine three days ago put i couldnt get it to go to hdmi 2 last night...so i put in 2 new batteries and it didnt work for about ten minute then i finall got it to work but now its doing the same thing
JA: Anything else you want the tv expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 4 months ago.

Hello and sorry you're having problems. Offhand this is common with Vizio sets as the remote and IR sensor are known failure points. Please try the following as an initial quick fix. Shut the TV off and then pull it's power cord from the wall (unplug it).

Then press and hold the power button on the TV itself for 10 seconds and release.

Wait a minute then plug the TV back in, and attempt to use the remote to turn it on.

If this does not work then please let me know if you have a cell phone camera or digital camera we can use to test the remote's IR emitter.

Expert:  Aric replied 4 months ago.

To test the remote, view the tip of the remote through the viewfinder of a cell phone camera or digital camera (camera turned on, view the tip of the remote as if you were going to take a picture). Press ANY of the buttons on the remote and check for a flash of white light from the tip of the remote. If you do NOT see that, then the remote is faulty and would need to be replaced.

Expert:  Aric replied 4 months ago.

In this case a replacement remote can be purchased at the link below for just over $10 for your set:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-VIZIO-XRD1TV-Remote-Controls-for-E320VT-E321ME-E321MV-E322MV-E370VP-E370VT-/191055312190?_trksid=p2141725.m3641.l6368

Expert:  Aric replied 4 months ago.

However if you CAN see the flash of light from the tip of the remote, then it means the remote is working as it should (sending an infra red signal to the TV) and the TV's IR sensor is actually the root cause of the issue requiring replacement of that small board inside the TV. The cost of the IR board is generally $20 and a shop will charge roughly $100-$120 labor to install it. In this case you can use the link below to locate a shop in your area if you'd like:

http://www.tvrepairpros.com

Expert:  Aric replied 4 months ago.

Alternatively if you're a DIY type and want to replace the IR sensor in the TV, it is a plug and play part- meaning no soldering or special tools are needed to replace it. You can purchase this part at the link below for $35 in this case:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vizio-E321ME-IR-Sensor-Board-ITR-002-493361600000R-/152018278317

Expert:  Aric replied 4 months ago.

Other than that, I'm sorry for the bad news here and wish there were a quick fix.

Let me know if you need more help. Also, could you please click a POSITIVE RATING (3-5 stars at the top of the page) and click SUBMIT so that I am credited for working with you today?

Expert:  Aric replied 4 months ago.

Do you need further assistance with this?

Expert:  Aric replied 4 months ago.

I was just following up to see if you needed further help. The site shows that since the question is open that you are still looking for help. Or, if you received the information you were looking for-could you please kindly rate my service POSITIVELY (by clicking a 3-5 star rating at the top of the page) to reflect that? Thanks in advance.