Nathan, Installer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.
59725966

I have LG 50pg20 model and i can't turn on/off and turn

Customer Question

i have LG 50pg20 model and i can't turn on/off and turn volume up or down with camcast remote
JA: Has this happened before? And have you tried unplugging your LG and leaving it off for a few hours?
Customer: no i tried unplugging it for few minutes but didn't work
JA: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?
Customer: well i have comcast hd box and have their remote so it just change channels volume and on/off only
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: couple of days
JA: Anything else you want the tv expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: TV
Expert:  Nathan replied 5 months ago.

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble with this but I'll do my best to help you.

Expert:  Nathan replied 5 months ago.

Is the LG responding to its own onboard buttons, and to the LG remote?

Did the comcast remote operate the tv for volume/power previously and just stopped? Or is this a new remote?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I have not tried the lg remote.. but the comcast tv did work before
Expert:  Nathan replied 5 months ago.

Please go try the lg remote now, as well as the buttons on the actual tv. This is an important part of the diagnostic process.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Ok..
Expert:  Nathan replied 5 months ago.

Thanks, ***** ***** know if the tv responds to those, please.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
The buttons on the tv does work
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
i dont have the lg remote
Expert:  Nathan replied 5 months ago.

Okay, that makes diagnosing this difficult, as the problem could be the comcast remote, or it could be a faulty sensor in the tv. Knowing if the LG remote worked or not would help us to isolate that.

The next step then if you can't test the factory remote would be to try reprogramming the comcast remote. Most of the newer comcast systems are automated - go into the comcast setup menu and look for Remote options, and you should have a spot there to program it, meaning to put in the make/model of the tv, and it should program the remote for you. You may have to try a few different codes/options to find a match.

Let me know if that helps.

Thanks,

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I did program...the tv with comcast remote andnit still doesnt work..and i tried that same remote on other tv and it works
Expert:  Nathan replied 5 months ago.

Do you have another LG tv?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Expert:  Nathan replied 5 months ago.

Okay can you take that other LG remote, and try to operate this tv with it, please?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Yea i tried the volume and channel it didn't work
Expert:  Nathan replied 5 months ago.

Thank you for confirming

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
is the sensor not working
Expert:  Nathan replied 5 months ago.

Unfortunately, the issues you are experiencing are symptomatic of an internal hardware defect, meaning a faulty IR sensor or main/control board, though there are many possible failure points. This issue could be a manufacturing defect, but is also often caused by a power event (shock/surge, prolonged over/under voltage condition, etc).

This could also be the result of age related wear and tear; as a 2008 model tv, that type of failure wouldn’t be surprising; this tv is well past its service life at this point.

There is one step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluation:
1) Unplug the power cord from the outlet

2) Wait at least 1 hour (60+ Minutes)

3) Press and hold the power button (on the set, not the remote) for 60 seconds
4) Keep holding power button while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after. When plugging back in, go directly to the wall outlet, bypassing any power strips or surge protectors.

If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm an internal hardware failure.

This is something that would require repairs to correct; if you're thinking about a do it yourself repair, you'll need to be comfortable and skilled with electronics repairs, which could include dismantling the set (removing the back panel of the tv), diagnostics testing with a multimeter, changing out boards as needed, and possibly desoldering/removing and soldering/replacing individual components.

If you’re considering repair at a local shop, you’ll find a typical repair to be around $100-300 for diagnostics, parts, and labor, depending if it is the sensor or the main.

For a tv of this size/age however, replacement will probably make more sense. You can get a brand new LED tv with a fresh warranty in the $300 range.

Or course you could keep using it manually as-is too, or add an external sound system and control the volume on it.

Depending how you’d like to proceed here, I can help with finding parts, finding a repair shop, or recommending replacement options. Just let me know.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Ok no problem
Expert:  Nathan replied 5 months ago.

Thank you

If you have any other questions, just let me know. Otherwise, please take a moment to rate my service as this is the only way I am credited for my time. Hopefully I have earned 5 Stars but if not please let me know what I can do to ensure you are satisfied. I also invite you to contact me directly with any future support needs at http://bit.ly/1QwLxGh and ask for Nathan.

Thank you, ***** ***** a nice day,

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Ok thank you
Expert:  Nathan replied 5 months ago.

You're welcome.