Nathan, Installer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.
59725966

Comes on with picture & sound...shortly after lines across

Customer Question

Comes on with picture & sound...shortly after lines across which obscure picture, picture comes back & then turns black. Sound is OK during the entire time. Is it my TV is getting tired & needs to be replaced or is ti the result of the TV "box?
JA: What's the make and model of your tv, and can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: Philips Magnavox..no HD ... I've had it several years. It worked great until just recently.
JA: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?
Customer: No, only this particular TV...We have Frontier cable...other TV has it's own "box"
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: About a month....I only watch it in the evening after I go to bedroom. Nothing happened that I can think of
JA: Anything else you want the tv expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: No, Just trying to get an opinion whether it is the TV, which needs replacing or the cable box on that specific TV
Category: TV
Expert:  Nathan replied 7 months ago.

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble with this but I'll do my best to help you.

Expert:  Nathan replied 7 months ago.

Can you tell me the model number of the tv, please?

Are you able to bring up the philips menu or input screens?

Can you get a steady picture from any other input, such as a dvd player, games, apps, etc?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Where would I find the model number? I have nothing else connected to the TV. It is on a verizon/frontier cable box.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I have another TV, in another location in the house, which functions great!
Expert:  Nathan replied 7 months ago.

The model would be printed on the back of the tv.

It is necessary for us to test something else with this tv. You can swap in a cable box from one of the other tvs, bring in a dvd from another room, etc.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I wanted to know if it sounded like something which could be fixed or if the TV just is too tired!
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I am not able to move the TV ...it's too heavy for me to lift & I have no idea how to swap out the boxes.
Expert:  Nathan replied 7 months ago.

I really can't say just yet. I know what you are asking, but I don't have any information that is sufficient to make that diagnosis.
I need the model of the tv (or at least the size, and age), and I need to have you test something else on this tv to determine if the problem is in the tv or the box.

Expert:  Nathan replied 7 months ago.

The box connections are very simple, they are the same on both tvs, just disconnect the cords on the box at the "bad" tv, and swap them with a box from another room, it will just be a power cord, cord from the cable jack on the wall, and a cord to the tv.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
How can I get back to you, I will have to get some help to move one, climb up to disconnect the other. I really appreciate our effort &I will try to get some help.
Expert:  Nathan replied 7 months ago.

You're very welcome, get back to me anytime. Just bookmark/favorite this page.

Or if you prefer we can set up a call and you can reach me later that way, if you prefer.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I am going to have to call for assistance. I will have to try that first. Thanks again for your help!
Expert:  Nathan replied 7 months ago.

You're very welcome, and good luck!

If it helps you to skip ahead in decision making, if another device works on this tv, then the cable box is faulty and needs replacement.

If another device has the same problem, then it is the tv. Based on the age that will need to be replaced as well, but I can recommend some new models for you, if needed.