Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience in the field and 5+ yrs. online, down to component level.
13948492

I have a HT-SS360 home theatre system. I am using the

Customer Question

I have a HT-SS360 home theatre system. I am using the receiver connected via HDMI cable to a UHD Samsung television output to obtain 5.1 sound. It had been working fine until I did something on the receiver menu which caused the receiver to not put out sound to the speakers. I believe the HDMI signal is getting to the receiver. I am using the "TV" connector on the receiver. George
JA: Has your Samsung done this before? And can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: The samsung is less than a year old (60" 7000 series). It has worked fine for about six months. I have been making changes on the receiver "Control for HDMI" menu.
JA: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: It has been going on for a couple of days. It happened when I called Samsung customer service about a picture problem and in the process of diagnosing the problem, they updated the TV software and reset all settings to factor default. After this, the sound problem appeared. I believe the sound signal is getting to the receiver since it turns on automatically when the TV is turned on. Also, the HDMI port shows up on the TV menu that lists speaker options.
JA: Anything else you want the electronics expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: If I connect the TV to the receiver via optical cable, the sound goes to the speakers. Unfortunately, the TV volume control doesn't change the optical signal level, so I really want the HDMI to work.
Submitted: 28 days ago.
Category: TV
Expert:  Louie replied 28 days ago.

Hi and welcome to the site, I’m Louie. Sorry you had to wait awhile but I’ll do my best to help.

Initially, would the Sony HT-SS360 still work as expected in AM of FM modes?