Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

I have a 2012 Samsung 51 inch plasma tv that evidently went

Customer Question

I have a 2012 Samsung 51 inch plasma tv that evidently went "POP" according to my house sitter. It will not do any thing since. Can this be repaired?
JA: How old is your Samsung, and have you tried unplugging it and leaving it off for a few hours?
Customer: About 4 years. It has been unplugged. Not sure how long. I tried to plug it in to another outlet but still no results.
JA: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?
Customer: Nothing. There is no indication that the tv is getting power and will not turn on with the remote or manually.
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: No Idea. lI think this happened earlier this week. Mark said he turned it on as usual , heard a pop and then nothing.
JA: Anything else you want the tv expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 1 month ago.

Hello, Sorry you're having problems. No indication of power at all on the set indicates that the power supply board has shorted and failed and requires replacement.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 month ago.

The pop is either an IC regulator shorting, a ceramic fuse blowing (due to a short elsewhere on the board) or a capacitor exploding. In either case this requires replacement of the power supply board within the TV to fix the issue. There are no pushbutton fixes or settings that will correct this. If you would like to see about a DIY repair (swapping out the board yourself) then I will need the full model number off of the back of the TV to attempt to look up that part for you.

Alternatively, if this is not something that you're comfortable with, then a shop will typically charge $250-$275 parts and labor to swap out the power supply board in a 52" (they don't make a 51") Plasma, or LED set and one can be located using the link below:

http://www.tvrepairpros.com

Expert:  Aric replied 1 month ago.

Again, if you're looking to repair the set yourself, then simply postback on this page with the model number found on the sticker on the back of the TV at ANY time and I can search for that part for you.

Other than that, I'm sorry for the bad news here and wish there were a quick fix.

Let me know if you need more help. Also, could you please click a POSITIVE RATING (3-5 stars at the top of the page) and click SUBMIT so that I am credited for working with you today?

Expert:  Aric replied 26 days ago.

Hello, I was just following up to see if you needed further help. The site shows that since the question is open that you are still looking for help. Or, if you received the information you were looking for-could you please kindly rate my service POSITIVELY (by clicking a 3-5 star rating at the top of the page) to reflect that? Thanks in advance.