Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

Wd 73c11 My Screen Is Dark Tried 2 new bulbs no difference?

Customer Question

JA: What's the model number of your TV? How old is it?
Customer: Wd 73c 11 About 5 years of 24 hours a day running
JA: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?
Customer: Yes And Have Nothing Hooked Up Just My Dish Feed
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: It Started going dark a week ago
JA: Anything else you want the tv expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: I Think That All
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 1 month ago.

Hello, Please tell me where you're getting these Lamps from.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 month ago.

In other words, are they $35 Amazon/Pureglare specials, or are they the correct OEM $110 Osram lamps?

The reason I'm asking is that the dim picture is either a lamp issue, or a ballast/power supply issue that involves replacing components within the TV. I would like to rule the quality of the lamp out as being a possible culprit.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 month ago.

I'm unsure why you logged off as I'm here to help you with the question you posted?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I buy the cheap bulbs have had pretty good luck with them they Last over a year of 24 hour we never turn off this tv
Expert:  Aric replied 1 month ago.

Thanks. I saw that you leave the set on 24/7. I've personally in the field had more bad luck with cheap lamps since they actually put a burden on the Ballast and power supply. So again, you've either got a bad lamp (although you said you tried two) or the ballast or power supply have weakened/are failing. There are no pushbutton fixes for this, and the choice its up to you as to how to proceed, but in the field we ONLY use OEM Osram lamps and that very well could cure your issue, however there's NO WAY to determine that without purchasing that lamp and replacing it. If the screen is still dark then voltage testing from the ballast to the lamp, and power supply to the ballast needs to be done to isolate between the two boards.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 month ago.

The OEM lamp for the set is available at the link below if you'd like to try that route next:

http://www.purelandsupply.com/mitsubishi-dlp-tv-bulbs_wd73c11.html

Expert:  Aric replied 1 month ago.

Beyond that, if you're looking to repair the set yourself you will need a multi-meter, and to be comfortable measuring live DC voltages within the TV. The DC output from the ballast needs to be checked, as well the power supply board's output to the ballast also needs to be tested. These parts are generally available at the link below:

http://www.shopjimmy.com/mitsubishi/wd-73c11

Expert:  Aric replied 1 month ago.

Alternatively if this is not something you're comfortable with, then a shop will typically charge between $350-$400 parts and labor provided the Lamp is not the root cause of the issue.

Otherwise I'm sorry for the bad news here and wish there were a quick fix.

If you need further assistance let me know. Before you go, PLEASE DO click at least a 3 STAR RATING, at the top of your screen. That is how I am credited for my efforts by the site. You can follow up any time as needed at no additional cost.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 month ago.

Hello, I was just following up to see if you needed further help. The site shows that since the question is open that you are still looking for help. Or, if you received the information you were looking for-could you please kindly rate my service POSITIVELY (by clicking a 3-5 star rating at the top of the page) to reflect that? Thanks in advance.