Russell H., Service Tech
Experience:  8+ years of professional experience
13568747

Yah i gotta jvc HR-J4020ub vcr player and when i play my

Customer Question

hello yah i gotta jvc HR-J4020ub vcr player and when i play my australian vhs pal tapes on my vizio hd tv it goes black and white i dont know how to fix the problem?
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your JVC is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: i brought the jvc from amazon just a couple of months ago
JA: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?
Customer: yes the tv menu work and yes it just shows the pal vhs tape black and white
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: when i brought the jvc vhs player within two months ago it just popped up black and white pal vhs tapes
JA: Anything else you want the tv expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: nope just i need help with the jvc HR-4020UB player to have color on my Australian pal tapes
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: TV
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 month ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

I regret hearing about the playback-in-black-and-white problem, because I have to warn you, there is some bad news coming up about that.

This page on Amazon, devoted to your model of JVC device:

https://www.amazon.com/JVC-HR-J4020UB-player-hrj4020ub-Silver/dp/B01EMJW6NS

has three posts from people who were disappointed at its playing tapes in black-and-white... actually one of them said it only recorded tapes in black-and-white... and that's a very distinct bad impression from a lot of commenters on this device.

One said they searched the manual and found no indication of any way to correct this issue.

I would advise you to return the JVC device, if at all possible, for a refund, or at least an exchange for another that is fully working. (It might just be a very frequent problem in a very bad factory run with poor quality control and there might be others in the same model that do render color from VHS tapes... perhaps.)

If that is not possible, a factory reset procedure might doubtfully straighten out the problem... if such a reset procedure is published somewhere. If you cannot return it nor exchange/refund it, then would you like to try this?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
ill ask my father he knows about it hold on

OK...