Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

Red light on front of the tv is flashing when turned. T.v.

Customer Question

Red light on front of the tv is flashing when turned. T.v. does not come on. Is it worth fixing or just buy another one
JA: What's the make and model of your tv? Have you tried unplugging it and leaving it off for a few hours?
Customer: Yes we have tried unplugging it for several hours. Model #TC-L42u25
JA: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?
Customer: NO nothing comes on.
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: This just started yesterday. No problems before
JA: Anything else you want the tv expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 2 months ago.

Hello, Sorry you're having problems. You were talking to a computer before, but I am the actual tech that's here to help you.

That said, the red light blinking on a Panasonic set is an error code and it will blink in a pattern (for example: 7 blinks, 7 blinks, etc.). This helps me determine what's wrong with your TV. Can you please get me that code?

Expert:  Aric replied 2 months ago.

Please read my reply and send one back to proceed.

Expert:  Aric replied 2 months ago.

I'm unsure why you're unable to reply, but I can post some steps for you to try. Unfortunately if the issue goes beyond this, you're generally looking at a Power Supply, Sustain Board, or Mainboard failure in a Panasonic set when that light starts blinking.

However it's worth it to try a hard reset, as sometimes the processor in the TV can simply have locked up.

The first thing you would try, is disconnect the set from power, then press and hold the power button on the TV itself (not the remote), for 10 seconds and release. Then plug the set back in, and also check that the power cord is connected tight at the TV as well. Press power once, and see if the set powers up normally. Try this procedure up to 2 times, and please let me know what happens.

Expert:  Aric replied 2 months ago.

If the issue goes beyond that, you're generally looking at between $250-$350 parts and labor for repairs, and to answer your original question, it's more cost-effective to replace the set versus repairing it since a brand new 42" LED TV can be purchased for around the same cost, and would have better picture quality.

Other than that. I'm sorry for the bad news and wish there were a quick fix.

Let me know if you need more help. Also, could you please click a POSITIVE RATING (3-5 stars at the top of the page) and click SUBMIT so that I am credited for working with you today?

Expert:  Aric replied 2 months ago.

Hello, I was just following up to see if you needed further help. The site shows that since the question is open that you are still looking for help. Or, if you received the information you were looking for-could you please kindly rate my service POSITIVELY (by clicking a 3-5 star rating at the top of the page) to reflect that? Thanks in advance.