Shahid
Shahid, Technician
Experience:  I have been repairing electronic gear since 1993 as a qualified Sony tech
33243543

Have lg led tv about 7 years old was watching show on cable

Customer Question

have lg led tv about 7 years old was watching show on cox cable tv started flashing ( ! this function is not available now soo i turned off cable box with remote but tv would not turn off with remote or touchscreen button soo i unplugged it. after waiting few minuets i plug it back in and it started flashing same message after lg logo went away.
JA: Has this happened before? And have you tried unplugging your LG and leaving it off for a few hours?
Customer: never happened before . unplugged for 1 5 min not hours.
JA: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?
Customer: idk i will go try.
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: this happened within last hour we were watching tv on cox cable. sound and picture still working but tv wont go to menu change channels or volume up or down with touchscreen or remote original tv remote or cable universal remote
JA: Anything else you want the tv expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: thats all i can think of . have broken elbow cant remove tv from mount to see model number. think its 42 in
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: TV
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 month ago.

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you today. To make sure I don’t miss anything, please give me a minute to review your question.

Expert:  Shahid replied 1 month ago.

- Please turn Off the cable box, does TV still show error message?

- - What video devices/ sources (such as cable box DVD player etc) are connected to TV and does the problem occur on all video input sources?
These info will help to troubleshoot the problem.
Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
it still flashes with cable box turned off . samsung blue ray player and amazon fire stick also hooked to tv blue ray been hooked up for years fire stick been hooked up for 2 weeks.
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 month ago.

OK, please make sure bluray power is Off as well and pull the fire stick form TV for a while to make sure the error message isn't coming from any connected device. Does the error message still flashing?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
unplugged fire stick from tv. unplugged blue ray from power outlet and unplugged cable box from power outlet still flashing ! this function is not available now
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 month ago.

Sorry to hear that, it seems TV firmware/ internal software has been corrupted for some reason and keeps showing error message, tried to unplug TV power cord to get it reset but it didn't work and this kind of problem mostly occurs because of failing EEPROM chip that stores firmware data, I'm afraid you would need to replace main board of TV to resolve the problem. Please check with www.shopjimmy.com with TV model number to get price info of replacement main board if you have plan to do it yourself.

If you are not comfortable working on it yourself then you may please use following link to get list of TV repair shops in area which will help to get repair quote...
http://www.tvrepairpros.com/
I'm sorry there is no easy or quick fix for this problem and it is definitely hardware failure that needs defective board replacement to resolve the issue.
I trust my input will help you out to make decision about this TV repair or invest that money on new replacement TV.
If you have any additional questions, feel free to ask. If you're satisfied, please rate me a 5-star at the top of your page.
Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
do you think firestick could have done this? dont want to put it on another tv if it could be the problem.
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 month ago.

I don't think any video device connected to TV has made that problem in TV, it would be aging effect to electronic components inside TV so the EEPROM chip went bad without any warning, can say coincidence.

You can connect firestick or bluray to any other TV and both devices will work fine. I hope these info will help. If you have any additional questions, feel free to ask. If you're satisfied, please rate me a 5-star at the top of your page.
Thank you.

Expert:  Shahid replied 1 month ago.

Do you need any further assistance with this TV question?

Thanks.