Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

Just keep flashing and the screen then become black,

Customer Question

just keep flashing and the screen then become black
JA: What's the model number of your TV? How old is it?
Customer: ln55c63ok1f
JA: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?
Customer: yes
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: for about three months
JA: Anything else you want the tv expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: notreally
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 1 month ago.

Hello, Please ignore the questions above as they were asked by a computer and not relevant.

What I need to know specifically - to rule out whether the issue is the "Source" (cable/SAT box) or TV itself is the following:

1) While the screen is flickering, if you gab the ORIGINAL Samsung remote and press MENU, will the MENU display clear and stable on the screen. or does it also flicker?

Expert:  Aric replied 1 month ago.

Please send a quick reply so that I know you are there and read to proceed.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 month ago.

I'm not sure if you're having problems replying? Please don't try to reply to the e-mail the site sends you. Instead use the link to get to the site page and reply here.

I'm here to assist you now, but if you're unable to engage at this time, then simply reply back when you are able. I will respond when available.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
It also flicker
Expert:  Aric replied 1 month ago.

Okay thanks. If the MENU also flickers then this is a hardware failure internally. This model was known for power supply/inverter failures, which cause the lighting in the screen to oscillate. There are no pushbutton fixes for this, and the only thing on a user level you can try is to leave the set unplugged from power for an hour or more in the hopes that it resets (although I don't have high hopes for this working). Beyond that the power supply board would need to be replaced, which is on average a $250 repair on this set. Given a brand new 46" Smart LED TV can be purchased starting at around $325, it does not make much sense to put that kind of money into the Samsung.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 month ago.

However if you'd like to inquire about repairs, or seek a 2nd opinion, you can use the link below to locate a shop in your area if you'd like:

http://www.tvrepairpros.com

Other than that, I'm sorry for the bad news here and wish there were a quick fix.

If you need further assistance let me know. Before you go, PLEASE DO click at least a 3 STAR RATING, at the top of your screen. That is how I am credited for my efforts by the site. You can follow up any time as needed at no additional cost.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 month ago.

So you would want to leave the set unplugged for an hour or more, or if the issue persists, replace the power board or HAVE the power board replaced. If you're looking to do that work yourself, let me know and I'll dig deeper for a link to the part.

Otherwise, did you need further assistance here??

Expert:  Aric replied 1 month ago.

Hello, I was just following up to see if you needed further help. The site shows that since the question is open that you are still looking for help. Or, if you received the information you were looking for-could you please kindly rate my service POSITIVELY (by clicking a 3-5 star rating at the top of the page) to reflect that? Thanks in advance.