Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

Poor picture. color and wavy lines. Hitachi ultrascan HD.

Customer Question

Poor picture. color and wavy lines.
JA: What's the model number of your TV? How old is it?
Customer: Hitachi ultrascan HD. Appx 15 years old.
JA: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?
Customer: I would have to check. We really do not use the set for watching anything other than what is on Comcast. All other TVs in the house fine.
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: Probably a year ago. TV seemed fine before this happened. I do not recall a slow segregation of picture clarity.
JA: Anything else you want the tv expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: Given the age of the unit I am trying to determine if it makes sense to repair it or buy a new one.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 1 month ago.

Hello, Sorry you're having problems. Offhand these symptoms would point to a failure in the Convergence circuit of the TV (which is what keeps the 3 color tubes aligned when viewing). However, it would be worth trying another source like a DVD player on the set to make sure it's not the specific Comcast box connected to this set.

Additionally, the model number of the TV is not posted - but given the age of the set I would assume it's a large back rear projection.

Please try a full reboot of everything as follows and let me know if you have the same problem:

1) Shut the TV off and pull the power cord from the wall (unplug it).

2) Unplug your cable box power cord from the wall for 20 seconds and plug it back in.

3) Plug in the TV and then turn it on.

4) Let me know if the image comes up the same.

If it DOES, then I will need the full model number off of the back of the TV please.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 month ago.

Please review my reply and try those steps to proceed.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 month ago.

I'm not sure if you're having problems replying? Please don't try to reply to the e-mail the site sends you. Instead use the link to get to the site page and reply here.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 month ago.

Are you able to reply back with what the results of the reboot are? I'm here awaiting your reply but have to leave at some point soon.