Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

I have a Samsung plasma 42 inch given to me, ps42p2s. do I

Customer Question

I have a Samsung plasma 42 inch given to me, ps42p2s. do I need to buy speakers and a set top to make it work?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 1 month ago.

Hello, The set does require a set top box in order to receive over the air, satellite or cable broadcasts since it lacks a modern aerial tuner built into the set (as it's a Plasma display and not an actual TV). As far as the speakers, I'm assuming you received the display without it's included speakers? There are side mount speakers that screw on/affix to the sides of the set. They are removable so I have no way of knowing if you received this set without the speakers.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 month ago.

However if so, then ANY small 8 ohm speakers can be connected to the speaker output (black and red) spring clip connections on the back of the display to produce sound.

Regarding the STB, any unit that uses a Scart connection, or RCA Yellow, Red and White can be used.

In most cases you can obtain the STB from the cable/SAT provider, or purchase a Humax box.

If you need further assistance let me know. Before you go, PLEASE DO click at least a 3 STAR RATING, at the top of your screen. That is how I am credited for my efforts by the site. You can follow up any time as needed at no additional cost.