Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

It is my digital home theater system. Will not turn on and

Customer Question

It is my digital home theater system. Will not turn on and stay on ~ it switches on and messages say: "Hello" - then "Protect" and it automatically switches OFF. ?
JA: What's the make and model of your tv, and has turning it on been a problem in the past? What confuses you?
Customer: Samsung, Model HT-Z310 - not a tv but digital home theater system
JA: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?
Customer: Tv menu works, tv works.
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: Don't know for sure when it started as we have not used it for some ? time. We tried to turn it on yesterday.
JA: Anything else you want the TV expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: The tv screen has some visual static the first 30 +/- minutes until it warms up.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 1 month ago.

Hello, Sorry you're having problems.

"Protect" is an indicator that there are either ONE of the following issues occurring:

1) A blown or faulty speaker connected to the receiver (showing the Receiver's Speaker Outputs a Dead Short).
2)A speaker wire that is shorting against the chassis, or a bare end of wire touching an adjacent wire (The MOST common cause of this problem).
3) Faulty Output Transistors inside the receiver itself. These are the IC devices that directly Power and Drive the Speakers.Unplug the unit from AC power, and disconnect all of the speakers AND Speaker Wiring) from the back of the receiver. Upon plugging back in, press and hold the power button at the same time for 5-10 seconds to force a hard reset.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 month ago.

If the unit starts up normally start connecting the speakers one at a time (shutting the power down before connecting each one), until one of the speakers causes the "PROTECT" indicator to come on.
This speaker is faulty and would need to be replaced.If the unit shows "Protect" with NO speakers connected, then it needs the output transistors replaced inside the unit. These directly drive the loudspeaker outputs on the receiver itself, and one or more of them being shorted (closed circuit), will trigger the error on the display of the receiver, and it will not go off until the problem is repaired.
They are not user-replaceable as they are PCB mounted, and thermally coupled to a heatsink. In this case, the unit is in need of service. Average cost for this type of repair is in the $200 range for this receiver, and MAY be more cost effective to replace it- versus repairing it.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 month ago.

However if you'd like to get another opinion, or are considering having it serviced, you can use the link below to locate a service center in your area:

http://www.stereorepair.com

If you need further assistance let me know. Before you go, PLEASE DO click at least a 3 STAR RATING, at the top of your screen. That is how I am credited for my efforts by the site. You can follow up any time as needed at no additional cost.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 month ago.

Do you need further assistance with this?