Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience in the field and 5+ yrs. online, down to component level.
13948492

I have a Samsung PN60F8500 plasma that has started to

Customer Question

Hi Pearl! I have a Samsung PN60F8500 plasma that has started to experience screen blackouts. Power light does not turn red (unless TV is manually turned off), nor does it start blinking like on a previous Panasonic plasma when power supply was likely failing. Audio OK during blackout, just no video. TV Menu, Tools, and Volume funtions will not display during blackout when prompted. Picture will return only when TV is powered off, then powered on again. Various high-end HDMI cables were swapped but not the problem. Time Warner Cable replaced the STB as well but blackouts persisted. Issue must be with the TV because when I connected my 46" LG LED to same STB for a few days everything was OK. Blackouts are intermittent - sometimes no problem for hours, other times multiple blackouts can occur in a minute. Strangely, blackouts most likely to occur during commercial breaks, especially right at the beginning of the break from regular programming.
JA: Just to clarify, what's the exact model of your Panasonic? And can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: 2013 Samsung PN60F8500 plasma purchased less than 3 years ago
JA: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?
Customer: TV menu will not appear during blackout. Blu-Ray player only other source (connected to Denon receiver) but I have not tested it - as mentioned previously, blackouts did not occur when I swapped the Samsung with the LG.
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: Issue started a few weeks ago, rarely at first, occurring more often lately. Hoping that it could be repaired w/o breaking the bank, otherwise will just replace it.
JA: Anything else you want the TV expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: My name is ***** ***** NYC and I can also be reached on my cell at(###) ###-#### Thank you!
Category: TV
Expert:  Anthony_Infotech replied 4 months ago.

Hello

Welcome

Mike thanks for the very comprehensive description

Ifyou see any messages particular ones for a phone call they are notfrom me but the site, Ido not use the phone call facility myself only this textingmethod whichI consider the best way, if however you want to use the phone calloption this will go to a board for another tech to take up, if a techconsiders this viable by phone he will ring you, otherwiseifyou do not want itplease ignore it thanks.

Mike this could be mainboard or the Y sus board it will need to be investigated are you able to perform any work yourself with the set?

Anthony

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
TV quite large and very heavy - I would prefer not to make any repairs myself.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Not paying another $26 for phone call, please refund my original $28