Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

The screen went black, E420-AO, Almost 3 years, No. There is

Customer Question

The screen went black
JA: What's the model number of your TV? How old is it?
Customer: E420-AO, Almost 3 years
JA: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?
Customer: No. There is sound. Black went black while watching a DVD
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: We were watching a video. Just snapped to black.
JA: Anything else you want the TV expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: purchased from Woot?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 1 month ago.

Hello, Offhand the screen going black can be a fault in the backlighting, or an HDMI issue (the HDMI cable lost connection). Let me ask you this - if you grab the original Vizio remote and press MENU, does the set's own MENU display? Let me know.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
no. Nothing.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Changing from the DVD to Cable-I was in the dark.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I also noticed a sort of darker band in the middle 1/3 nearly since we got it.
Expert:  Aric replied 1 month ago.

Thanks for the reply. I saw that switching over to DVD made the screen go black. Now, if you noticed a darker band previously and not the screen is black, then this points VERY heavily towards the LED lighting in the screen having failed (which is not repairable since the entire screen of the Vizio would need to be replaced which would cost more than replacing the set).

However it's worth it to try a hard reset, as sometimes the processor in the TV can simply have locked up.

The first thing you would try, is disconnect the set from power, then press and hold the power button on the TV itself (not the remote), for 10 seconds and release. Then plug the set back in, and also check that the power cord is connected tight at the TV as well. Press power once, and see if the set powers up normally. Try this procedure up to 2 times, and please let me know what happens.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 month ago.

Are you able to get the Vizio "V" on the screen when you turn the TV on?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Where is the tv power button? By where the light goes on?
Expert:  Aric replied 1 month ago.

No, it's on the lower left hand rear corner of the set. It's a rectangular shaped button.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I got it. Nope. Tried 3x. Still sound but no picture.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I also unplugged the HDMI cord to the DVD player.
Expert:  Aric replied 1 month ago.

The HDMI cable from the DVD player has no bearing on the set's built in Logo showing up on the screen. That's bad news and was the only thing on a user level you could try. Beyond this, it indicates the LED strips in the screen have FAILED and would need to be replaced. In other cases it's simply the power supply/LED board (which is easy to replace), but you mentioned a darker spot on the screen previously, which directly points to LED's in the panel failing.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
that's it. boo.
Thank you.
Expert:  Aric replied 1 month ago.

A shop will not tackle this repair, and will only opt to replace the entire screen of the TV and give a quote for $350-$400 (a brand new 42" Vizio costs $300), so it is not repairable. Alternatively, there are LED strips available from Shop Jimmy for this model for $55 and they also have a video that shows you how to replace the strips yourself - if you are a DIY type and looking to repair the TV. Those strips are at the link below for purchase:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vizio-LC420DUG-JFR1-Replacement-LED-Strips-10-Strips-E420-A0-serial-LAQKNREP-/361750766568?_trksid=p2141725.m3641.l6368

Expert:  Aric replied 1 month ago.

Unfortunately beyond a DIY repair, then Yes, that would be it for the set I'm afraid. Other than that, I'm sorry for the bad news here and wish there were a quick fix.

Let me know if you need more help. Also, could you please click a POSITIVE RATING (3-5 stars at the top of the page) and click SUBMIT so that I am credited for working with you today?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you.
Expert:  Aric replied 1 month ago.

You're welcome. Do you need further assistance with this?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
no. Bummer.
Expert:  Aric replied 1 month ago.

The site shows that since the question is open that you are still looking for help. Or, if you received the information you were looking for-could you please kindly rate my service POSITIVELY (by clicking a 3-5 star rating at the top of the page) to reflect that? Thanks in advance.