Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

My television set is a smart TV. It keeps turning itself on

Customer Question

My television set is a smart TV. It keeps turning itself on and off even when I unplug it. The only way to stop it from doing this is to unplug from the back of the TV. Why is this happening
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 1 month ago.

Hello, Sorry you're having problems. This is happening because the Mainboard in the set has prematurely failed. This is the most common failure with Samsung sets and the symptoms are that the set will continue "cycling" on and off (the Mainboard provides the turn on/off commands to the set.

In most cases this requires replacement of the Mainboard to fix the issue (which is something that I can help you with).

However it's worth it to try a hard reset, as sometimes the processor in the TV can simply have locked up.

The first thing you would try, is disconnect the set from power, then press and hold the power button on the TV itself (not the remote), for 10 seconds and release. Then plug the set back in, and also check that the power cord is connected tight at the TV as well. Press power once, and see if the set powers up normally. Try this procedure up to 2 times, and please let me know what happens.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 month ago.

Are you still having the same problem please?

Expert:  Aric replied 1 month ago.

I'm unsure why you're unable to reply, but if you're having the same issue, then the board that needs to be replaced is called the "Mainboard" and is available at the link below for your set if you ant to DIY repair it:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Samsung-55-UN55D7000-BN94-04355K-LED-LCD-Main-Video-Board-Unit-Motherboard-/361798698250?_trksid=p2141725.m3641.l6368

Expert:  Aric replied 1 month ago.

The board is "plug and play" - meaning no soldering or special tools are needed to replace it. Howver the back of the TV must be removed to access it.

Alternatively, if this is not something that you're comfortable with, then a shop will typically charge $300 parts and labor on this model to replace the Mainboard and can be located using the link below:

http://www.tvrepairpros.com

Other than that, I'm sorry for the bad news here and wish there were a quick fix.

If you need further assistance let me know. Before you go, PLEASE DO click at least a 3 STAR RATING, at the top of your screen. That is how I am credited for my efforts by the site. You can follow up any time as needed at no additional cost.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 month ago.

Do you need further assistance with this?