Jack
Jack, Technician
Experience:  40 years experience as audio,video repair and installation tech
39158752

My tv the power light comes on the icon loads up sometimes,

Customer Question

My tv the power light comes on the icon loads up sometimes
JA: What's the make and model of your tv? Have you tried unplugging it and leaving it off for a few hours?
Customer: ok my vizio plays sometimes the power light comes on and sometimes the icon comes on like its suppose to do and sometimes the icon flashes when it just flashes is when I just get a black screen
JA: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?
Customer: Yes
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: About 2 months I have to unplug it for a couple hrs for it to play
JA: Anything else you want the TV expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: That's it
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: TV
Expert:  Jack replied 1 month ago.

Hi , I`m Jack and I will be helping you today
Please note that I am an independent tech. that depends on your positive rating to get paid by this website and I have no control over the phone (or other) offers , they are sent by the website ,not by me but let me know if you`d rather do this on the phone.
That being said , a few questions coming up and by the way , pearl that greeted you is a computer so never mind the odd questions and suggestions.;
Please let me know when you are ready
Also ,Could you please give me the tv`s model number written on the back cover ?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I'm ready
Expert:  Jack replied 1 month ago.

I have a pretty good idea of the problem but i could be more specific with the model number

Expert:  Jack replied 1 month ago.

These Vizio have a history of failing main board and unless you are talking about a recent model 50" and above then a repair would not be warranted due to the costs of repairs VS buying a new one.

A self repair would be even better and again i could find the correct parts with that model number , the average cost of a vizio main board is around $100

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ok I'll get the model #
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
E500i-b1
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
It's playing right now
Expert:  Jack replied 1 month ago.

How do you mean that

The tv is working now ?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
If I unplug it for a couple hrs it will come on and play
Expert:  Jack replied 1 month ago.

By the look of it you have a defective main board which is getting to be quite common for vizio tv`s

If you are into this then you can look up the link below where you will find some 8 versions of that board and you would need to match yours and from there could be found if not in stock there

That link is mainly for ID purpose , here it is ; http://www.shopjimmy.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=E500i-b1

If that is not your cup of tea so to speak then to have this repaired at home could cost you around $300 parts included and perhaps $50 less if you take it to the shop yourself .

If you need to find repair shops near you then look at the link below and enter your zip code ;
www.tvrepairpros.com
This will give you a list of NESDA member repair shops in your area.
This list may be limited though and you may find more the yellow pages or simply google "tv repairs" and the name of your town .
You could give a call to different shops in your area to get an idea of their rates , it pays to shop around .

Let me know if you have other questions and if not then please do not forget to rate by clicking on the star icons at the top, then click on Submit so i get paid for my time helping you .
Also note that it will not close this post , you can come back here at any time if you need further info or help .
Thank you