Steve G., Technician
Experience:  VP of electronic repair company. Audio nut.
329447

I am unable to get the sound from the TV to my surround

Customer Question

I am unable to get the sound from the TV to my surround sound system. in settings I have selected TV speakers and audio out. When I remove the optical cable from the sound unit I can see the a red light being emitted ( I didn't look directly at it) We did have it working and after we had our grand daughter visit it didn't work. the surround sound system will produce sound when a DVD played and it can be seen on the TV via the HDMI or it s is selected to radio. The TV model is 55L631V SN 505KCA55F016
JA: What's the make and model of your tv? Have you had any issues with the sound before?
Customer: The TV model is LG 55L631V SN 505KCA55F016 it took a bit of setting up then was ok for a while.
JA: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?
Customer: yes and yes
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: my 8 yo grand daughter was here and my have made adjustments we were not aware of.
JA: Anything else you want the TV expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: TV
Expert:  Steve G. replied 1 month ago.

Hello there and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you today. I am an engineer with over 30 years of electrical and electronic training, repair and installation experience. I will try and answer your question accurately and precisely so that we can get you on your way.

I need to gather some more information from you in order to help.

What is the make and model of the sound system you are using with your LG television?

Let me know and I'll try and help you.

Steve

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Panasonic SC-PT860
Expert:  Steve G. replied 1 month ago.

Ok. Hello again. On the sound system remote is a button labelled FM/EXT IN. Once you have the TV and sound system powered up and a TV show playing on the TV, press that button to select the Optical input as the desired input.

Let me know what happens.

Steve

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
thanks for the tip. I persevered with the manual as well set the sound system to D IN then went to setyup and selected DRC and now the sound comes out
Expert:  Steve G. replied 1 month ago.

Excellent. I'm glad you got it working.

If you would take a couple of seconds to rate my service using three to five stars. My rating is very important to me having helped over 20,000 customers like yourself.

Thanks very much.
Steve

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
You help was good in helping me understand what DIN ment so when I looked at the manual I understood what I was looking for
Expert:  Steve G. replied 1 month ago.

I understand.

If you would take a couple of seconds to rate my service using three to five stars it would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Steve