Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience in the field and 5+ yrs. online, down to component level.
13948492

How can I verify that the TV is taking advantage of

Customer Question

How can I verify that the TV is taking advantage of Hi Resolution -- the signal is Verizon FIOS?
JA: What's the make and model of your tv, and can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: Samsung 32" LCD about 3 years old
JA: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?
Customer: What's a TV menu? Only sources are Verizon FIOS and alternately the signal from a SONY DVD player.
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: I've suspected we're not getting Hi Def display since we bought the TV. Then, we recently stayed in a motel with LG TVs -- the pictures were spectacularly Hi Res -- details of faces especially were amazing including reflections of lighting in the eyes of the persons. The TVs seemed to be 32" but may have been larger.
JA: Anything else you want the TV expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: We have misplaced the manual that came with the TV.
Category: TV
Expert:  Jack replied 7 months ago.

Hi , I`m Jack and I will be helping you today
Please note that I am an independent tech. that depends on your positive rating to get paid by this website and I have no control over the phone (or other) offers , they are sent by the website ,not by me but let me know if you`d rather do this on the phone.
That being said , a few questions coming up and by the way , pearl that greeted you is a computer so never mind the odd questions and suggestions.;
Please let me know when you are ready to proceed .
Also ,Could you please give me the tv`s model number written on the back cover ?

Expert:  Jack replied 7 months ago.

Beside the tv`s own specs , what you will need is a HDMI connection then HD cable box and although it will normally auto adjust to your tv`s optimum resolution it can also be set to output HD signal with standard definition channels , note that not all channels are HD (usually above CH. 500 ) but normally that cable box can be forced to upconvert lower resolution channels by disabling lower resolutions like 480 and 720p .

The latter depends much on the cable box and this is usually not something the cable company will give you online or in the box manual .

In any case you could give me the model number of that box and i could see what i can find .

Your tv is just a monitor here so beside your preferences there is not much that can be done , the picture quality will be inherent to the tv and its external devices .

Give me those models numbers and i`ll tell you the optimum setup