Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience in the field and 5+ yrs. online, down to component level.
13948492

I have a JVC Model EM37T and there is no picture. I was

Customer Question

I have a JVC Model EM37T and there is no picture. I was working fine 2 hours ago. I have unplugged it from the wall and now it is plugged back in the tv is off and the blue light is not on. I can turn it on and the blue light will remain steady. But since I have no idea what mode it is in...I cannot fine the tv hdmi input. Since I have been pushing buttons I did get sound at one point but not now since I started the process all over. HELP!
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your JVC is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: Less than 3 years old. According to the info on the back of the tv the model # is EM37T
JA: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?
Customer: I can't see anything so I don't know if the menu is on or not. I can try to press it....Do I use the JVC remote or the remote from the cable company?
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: The tv was working fine less then 2 hours ago. Picture and Sound were both fine
JA: Anything else you want the TV expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: TV
Expert:  Louie replied 1 month ago.

Hi and welcome to the site, I’m Louie. Sorry you had to wait awhile but I’ll do my best to help.

Initially, consider an experiment (if have not been done). Power on the TV and set to a program/channel. If at all possible, darken the room where the TV is. Wait for about 5 minutes or more. Shine a flashlight at an angle (not directly) and near but not touching the screen where the volume level / menu display is usually seen.

Press the VOL UP/DOWN or MENU button and note if a dark/ghostly image of the volume level or MENU could be seen.

Postback results.

The above is a test to determine if it is a backlighting issue.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I'm not quite sure if you understand the issue. If I slowly scroll through the input I can(or did) get sound. If you want me to try to bring back the sound I can try that again. The screen is totally blank.
Expert:  Louie replied 1 month ago.

"...screen is totally blank..."; is the screen all blue, black or white please?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
black
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I scrolled by pressing the input button on the remote and now I have sound on channel 7(ABC).
Expert:  Louie replied 1 month ago.

Then please consider / try the flash light test as above proposed.

Perhaps the video HERE may shed insight.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I did the flashlight test and there is a shadow I can see .....Now what?
Expert:  Louie replied 1 month ago.

It would then confirm an internal hardware issue.

Are you then considering a DIY (do-it-yourself) repair approach? If yes, do you have access to and familiar with a multi-meter (and even perhaps a soldering iron)?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
NO Why? How difficult will this be to repair? Is it possible that it could be fixed by replacing a board or two inside the tv? Will this end up being more expensive than a new tv?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Where would I get the new boards?
Expert:  Louie replied 1 month ago.

Yes, repairs possible with a single board replacement.

The primary suspect would be the main board as it holds the circuitry of the internal power supply as well as that of the others including the sub-power supply for the LED backlights.

The Part Number is ***** depending on the version / revision. Rule of thumb is to replace only with identically numbered board.

Try inquiring from ShopJimmy for used/refurbished and/or pulled out boards. Please click HERE.

...or even from HERE and HERE.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
This looks incredibly complicated. How much do repairs usually run on something like this. Plus apparently the site you sent link to are out of stock for this model.
Expert:  Louie replied 1 month ago.

Service Fees would be largely dependent on the going rate in your area.

Consult with and/or seek the services of an independent repair shop / qualified professional.

Please click HERE.

Select/fill in your state and/or Zip Code then click on the Submit button.