Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

No sound on my Olevia tv. Unplugged the tv for four hours

Customer Question

No sound on my Olevia tv. Unplugged the tv for four hours and still no sound. Suggestions?
JA: What's the make and model of your tv? Have you had any issues with the sound before?
Customer: No sound problems before. It's an Oleva 542i 42 inch
JA: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?
Customer: Yes, the tv menu works using my Direct tv remote
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: Just happened. The tv was on and the sound stopped.
JA: Anything else you want the TV expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: I wouldn't know what else to tell him/her.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 1 month ago.

Hello, Sorry you're having problems.

This issue is either caused by the TV itself (the Mainboard failing) or the "Source" (cable/SAT box, etc.).

Please follow the steps below:
1) Shut the TV off, and then disconnect the cable/SAT box AND the TV from power (unplug their power cords).
2) If using an HDMI cable, disconnect and reconnect the HDMI cable on both ends when the cable box is unplugged from power (make sure it's secure on both ends).
3) Press and hold the power button on the TV itself (not the remote) for 10 full seconds while the set is unplugged, then release the power button.
4) Plug the cable box AND the TV back into power, then turn the TV on and attempt to watch a program.

This should restore the sound. However if it does not, then please try another source- such as a DVD player on the TV and see if that has sound. This tells us whether or not the TV, or the cable/SAT box itself is causing the problem.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 month ago.

If you need further assistance let me know. Before you go, PLEASE DO click at least a 3 STAR RATING, at the top of your screen. That is how I am credited for my efforts by the site. You can follow up any time as needed at no additional cost.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 month ago.

If however rebooting the cable box didn't work, AND you have also tried another source (like a DVD, etc.) as a TEST to confirm the issue is actually with the TV itself - and not the cable box, then this indicates the audio processing has failed on the Mainboard of the TV, and this requires replacement of that part.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 month ago.

In that case, since Olevia has been out of business for over 7 years, it is near impossible to find new boards for these sets, and the only option are used/pulled parts. Given the average cost for this repair at a shop is in the $250 range, on a TV this age that can be replaced for the same cost ( a brand new 42" LED Smart TV will run you the same amount), it is more cost effective to replace the TV versus repairing it. Other than that, I'm sorry for the bad news here and wish there were a quick fix.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 month ago.

Let me know if you need more help. Also, could you please click a POSITIVE RATING (3-5 stars at the top of the page) and click SUBMIT so that I am credited for working with you today?

Expert:  Aric replied 1 month ago.

Do you need further assistance with this today?

Expert:  Aric replied 1 month ago.

I was just following up to see if you needed further help. The site shows that since the question is open that you are still looking for help. Or, if you received the information you were looking for-could you please kindly rate my service POSITIVELY (by clicking a 3-5 star rating at the top of the page) to reflect that? Thanks in advance.