Shahid
Shahid, Technician
Experience:  I have been repairing electronic gear since 1993 as a qualified Sony tech
33243543

I have a new Samsung smart tv that fails to connect to my

Customer Question

i have a new Samsung smart tv that fails to connect to my wifi. the tv is within sight of the wifi and only about 10 feet away
JA: How old is your Samsung, and have you tried unplugging it and leaving it off for a few hours?
Customer: oddly the tv will connect to my iPhone in hotspot mode
JA: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?
Customer: its band new. and they tested it in the store before I left
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: because I had already taken one back for the same issue
JA: Anything else you want the TV expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: to me it looks like an in compatibility/connection issue to the wifi i.e. wrong password ***** all other devices (ipad laptop) connect fine using the same password
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 1 month ago.

Hello, I need some specifics on your Wi Fi here:

1) What is the brand and model of the router?

2) What internet speed do you have (ex: 15 MBPS, 30 MBPS, 100 MBPS, etc.)?

3) How many other devices (and what devices specifically) are connected to your router?

4) Have you ever streamed video using your home network before?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
1) Smart RG SN500n
2) Fast, I think 50MBPS fibre
3) 8 (3 ipad, 2 phones, xbox, laptop, apple tv)
4) Yes, all the time. We can still use the apple tv with the Samsung but the tv itself won't connect to the wifi so we can't use the smarthub feature.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
it really seems like i'm inputting the wifi password ***** but I have disconnected and reconnected using the same password ***** 3 different devices so am 100% that it is right
Expert:  Aric replied 1 month ago.

Thanks for the reply. Offhand 50 MBPS is plenty to stream (15 minimum is required). You said you also took back the first TV?

How far do you get in the setup process? Does the Samsung "See" your router, allow you to enter the password, then run a connection test and fail?

Expert:  Aric replied 1 month ago.

Also please elaborate on what causes you to think that you're entering the password *****

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
exactly as you put it. it sees the router but connection test fails
Expert:  Aric replied 1 month ago.

Okay thanks. Does your router have a WPS button that you can try so you can bypass the password?

Additionally, can you please unplug the router from power then plug it back in so that it doles out a fresh IP address to the TV and then try to connect using the WPS method?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
there is no wps button which is a real pain. I will try the reset the IP address on the screen looks odd - it doesn't match the one on my phone or ipad..I have to drop the kids at school so will get back to you later.thanksjon
Expert:  Aric replied 1 month ago.

Okay thanks Jon. Please try a power reset of the router when you get back and let me know what happens.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 month ago.

Don't try to manually change the IP address - when you reboot the router it will give the TV a new address.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
just before I head out..the ip addresses updated to more familiar ones but the connection still failed. the failure is between the router and the world rather than the tv and router.
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 month ago.

Hello, I'm Shahid. Sorry to hear that you're having trouble with this but I'll do my best to help.

- Have you tried to unplug TV power cord from wall outlet for 10 minutes to reset, replug back in and run network setup in TV for fresh connection.

Please reply back with the result.

Thanks.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
will give it a go Shahid
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I have powered the TV down and up and still have the same issue
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
odd fix found...
I read on the internet that if I changed the DNS server from my router address to 8.8.8.8 it might fix this issue.. it did...
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 month ago.

Excellent, glad to know that IP address worked and problem is resolved. If you have any additional questions, feel free to ask.

Thanks.