Jack
Jack, Technician
Experience:  40 years experience as audio,video repair and installation tech
39158752

I have a Samsung Plasma TV model PN50A550, serial

Customer Question

I have a Samsung Plasma TV model PN50A550, serial ALCD3CHQ00194A, bought i 2009. It doesn't want to start properly, seems to cycle several times while making a clicking sound with each cycle, then after several boot attempts, the picture appears and is absolutely perfect. Any ideas?
Category: TV
Expert:  Jack replied 2 months ago.

Hi , I`m Jack and I will be helping you today
Please note that I am an independent tech. that depends on your positive rating to get paid by this website and I have no control over the phone (or other) offers , they are sent by the website ,not by me but let me know if you`d rather do this on the phone.
That being said , a few questions coming up;

Once warmed up (1 hour or so) can you turn it off and on again right away like normal ?

Expert:  Jack replied 2 months ago.

I see that you came around to look at my reply so I will give you your answer anyway , never mind my question above ;

This a typical case of weak/vented capacitors on the power supply circuit , when cold they take longer to charge and hold that charge until somewhat up to par so the TV's voltages will be adequate.

There could be a dozen or so of those capacitors to replace throughout the tv , not only on the power board by the way but the ones causing this cycling are definitely on the power supply circuit.

I wish I could say that you could just replace that board and everything will be fine but there was nothing easy with those older plasma TV's and the new board would need to be adjusted per the TV's date written internally

So this means that a repair shop would be your next step and you would be looking at no less than a $300 repair .

Now considering the age of the tv at 7 years old and the fact that you can get a new 50" tv with all the bells and whistles for around or less than $500 ,I would think twice before investing that kind of money into this one.

I think your money would be better invested in a new tv .

Let me know if you have other questions and if not then please do not forget to rate by clicking on the star icons at the top, then click on Submit so i get paid for my time helping you .
Also note that it will not close this post , you can come back here at any time if you need further info or help .
Thank you