Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

I can't get any cable service with my coaxial cord, its new

Customer Question

I can't get any cable service with my coaxial cord
JA: What's the model number of your TV? How old is it?
Customer: its new just brought the model number is *****
JA: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?
Customer: It works but certain things I can't change
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: Yes it's keeps saying please channel auto scan but when I do no channel can be found
JA: Anything else you want the TV expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: How can I change the spdif type on my tv
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 1 month ago.

Hello, We need to clarify a few things. First, SPDIF has nothing to do with cable service - that is for AUDIO sent out to a sound system from a TV.

Secondly, are you referring to a screw-on RG6 coaxial cable directly from the wall to the TV?

Third, whom is your cable provider, or are you using an HDTV antenna to the TV?

Please reply back with specifics so we can proceed.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I have a screw on coaxial.. my tv provider is element and no I am not using a HDTV antenna
Expert:  Aric replied 1 month ago.

No, your TV BRAND is ELEMENT. Your cable provider would be "Who do you pay your cable bill to"?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Oh sorry I don't because I'm in a dorm
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Know
Expert:  Aric replied 1 month ago.

In other words, that coaxial cable will not provide any sort of signal unless you have an active cable service coming down that line and we need to know what company is sending that, since most companies requires a box these days.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I don't know that information because it's the college cable service and with my other tv I was able to receive the channels but with the tv I have no channels can be found when I scan it
Expert:  Aric replied 1 month ago.

Okay, not all sets are created equal, and the other TV may have a better digital tuner than this one. Now that said, BEFORE you run the scan did you select "Cable" instead of "Antenna" in the Setup MENU?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Cable
Expert:  Aric replied 1 month ago.

Okay there's nothing else you can do, or that needs to be done. You select Cable and then run a scan. If the Element doesn't pickup and store any channels then it's an internal TV issue and either the tuner cannot process the type of signal the dorm uses, or the set's tuner is defective/faulty. There's no way around that here. I would check in with the administration and find out whom the provider is so that you can get outfitted with a cable box that you can connect to this set. Otherwise I'm sorry for the bad news on this one.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Okay thank you so much for all your help
Expert:  Aric replied 1 month ago.

You're welcome. If you find out info from them, and need help locating a box, so let me know if you need more help. Also, could you please click a POSITIVE RATING (3-5 stars at the top of the page) and click SUBMIT so that I am credited for working with you today?

Expert:  Aric replied 1 month ago.

Do you need further assistance with this?