Shahid
Shahid, Technician
Experience:  I have been repairing electronic gear since 1993 as a qualified Sony tech
33243543

The volume is frozen at 0 and the the tv does not respond to

Customer Question

The volume is frozen at 0 and the the tv does not respond to change channel
JA: What's the make and model of your tv, and can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: model #ns-lcd32-09 Insignia
JA: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?
Customer: no menu does not work The manual buttons on side have no effect either
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: several weeks Nothing happened prior. Just turned on TV on day to find no volume
JA: Anything else you want the TV expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: the picture comes in clearly on one channel, but will not change channels with either side buttons or remote or have any volume
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: TV
Expert:  Anthony_Infotech replied 1 month ago.

Hello

Welcome

If you see any messages particular ones for a phone call they are not from me but the site, I do not use the phone call facility myself only this texting method which I consider the best way, if however you want to use the phone call option this will go to a board for another tech to take up, if a tech considers this viable by phone he will ring you, otherwise if you do not want it please ignore it thanks.

If you try and increase the volume AT THE SET ITSELF not the remote does anything change?

Anthony

OK I see you have tried that, no effect, in that case please try gently tapping the volume minus button on the set itself then try the plus volume button do this about 5 or 6 times and let meknow if you can get it out of the minus volume down mode basically what has happened is the tact switch on the minus volume is stuck as though you are pressing it

The only other thing that can cause this is the remote control itself transmitting volume minus so take the batteries out of the remote to kill it to eliminate the remote then let meknow how this works out

Regardless of anything be sure to come back and let me know

Anthony

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Nothing you have suggested has worked.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
How do I get my money back since the information did not help?
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 month ago.

Hello, I'm Shahid. Sorry to hear that you're having trouble with this but I'll do my best to help.

- Have you tried to unplug TV and cable box power cords from wall outlet for 10 minutes to reset, replug back in, let cable box reboot that may take several minutes and check?
If not yet, please try it now and reply back with the result.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Tried unplugging TV for 10 min and replugging still no response
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 month ago.

OK, does power button on TV or its remote work to switch Off and On the TV?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The power button in TV does not turn TV on or off. The TV only responds to the remote.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I
Remote will only turn the TV on or off, not change channels
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 month ago.

OK, is the TV connected to antenna for local channels OR any cable box hooked into AV or HDMI input of TV and do you use cable remote?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
TV is connected to cable cord hooked into antenna/cable port in back of tv. The cable box is in another room with another TV. The cable remote does not communicate with the TV.
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 month ago.

These are odd symptoms, TV respond to power button only and no other button on remote work with TV.

Lets try to confirm the remote if it is working. Please watch remote control front tip through cellphone/ digital camera and press volume or channel buttons on TV remote. Do you see flashing light on remote front?

If so that means remote is working and problem is with main controller chip which isn't processing the remote commands (except power) and you would need to replace main board of TV to resolve the problem.

Typing more info for you.......

Expert:  Shahid replied 1 month ago.

Click following link to view how to test the remote with cellphone camera to get better idea..

http://theremotedoctor.com/trouble_files/remote_setup2.jpg

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
the remote control is working...saw the flashing light through camera
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 month ago.

If remote found good then main board replacement is needed to fix the problem, please click following supplier link to get replacement main board or search it over internet for better price if you have plan to do it yourself..

http://www.shopjimmy.com/insignia/ns-lcd32-09

If you are not comfortable working on it yourself then you may please use following link to get list of TV repair shops in area which will help to get repair quote...
http://www.tvrepairpros.com/
I'm sorry there is no easy or quick fix for this problem and it is definitely hardware failure that needs defective board replacement to resolve the issue.
I trust my input will help you out to make decision about this TV repair or invest that money on new replacement TV.
If you have any additional questions, feel free to ask. If you're satisfied, please rate me a 5-star at the top of your page.
Thank you.

Expert:  Shahid replied 1 month ago.

Do you need any further assistance with this question?

Thanks.