Jack
Jack, Technician
Experience:  40 years experience as audio,video repair and installation tech
39158752

The noise goes away after I shut it off in about 5-6

Customer Question

the noise goes away after I shut it off in about 5-6 seconds
JA: What's the model number of your TV? How old is it?
Customer: It is a 60 inch and about 7 years old. sounds like a tube to me.
JA: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?
Customer: Yes
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: I have had it for a week or two and don't think I had a problem before that
JA: Anything else you want the TV expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: It comes and goes
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: TV
Expert:  Jack replied 1 month ago.

Hi , I`m Jack and I will be helping you today
Please note that I am an independent tech. that depends on your positive rating to get paid by this website and I have no control over the phone (or other) offers , they are sent by the website ,not by me but let me know if you`d rather do this on the phone.
That being said , a few questions coming up ;
Please let me know when you are ready to proceed .
Also ,this sounds like a DLP tv but nonetheless ,could you please give me the tv`s model number written on the back cover ?

Expert:  Jack replied 1 month ago.

Please reply to me here and do not open other post , we are not allow to reply to duplicates anyway

Expert:  Jack replied 1 month ago.

That would be a Samsung HL-R5687 , or 88W may be ???

Expert:  Jack replied 1 month ago.

HL-R5067W ??

Expert:  Jack replied 1 month ago.

In any case this would be a DLP tv indeed and it sounds like you have a color wheel going out , namely its bearing that spins at some 12K RPM`s and does take a bit to slow down.

With the exact model number I could find that color wheel that usually sells for around $100 but you will need to be very comfortable with electronics and this wheel will need adjustment afterwards , you cannot simply slap it in

If that is not your cup of tea so to speak then to have this repaired at home could cost you around $300 parts included and perhaps $50 less if you take it to the shop yourself .

If you need to find repair shops near you then look at the link below and enter your zip code ;
www.tvrepairpros.com
This will give you a list of NESDA member repair shops in your area.
This list may be limited though and you may find more the yellow pages or simply google "tv repairs" and the name of your town .
You could give a call to different shops in your area to get an idea of their rates , it pays to shop around but if i may be frank , considering the age of the tv and the fact that you can get a new 50" tv with all the bells and whistles for around or less than $450 ,I would think twice before investing that kind of money into this one.

I think your money would be better invested in a new tv .

Let me know if you have other questions and if not then please do not forget to rate by clicking on the star icons at the top, then click on Submit so i get paid for my time helping you .
Also note that it will not close this post , you can come back here at any time if you need further info or help .
Thank you

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
THANK YOU
Expert:  Jack replied 1 month ago.

Much welcome and please do not forget to rate (and SUBMIT) so i can get compensated for my time helping you.

Expert:  Jack replied 1 month ago.

If you cant find the rating system (stars at the top and SUBMIT ) then you can do it verbally here by saying like " I rate " excellent/good service