Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

What does it mean when a Panasonic plasma flat screen tv

Customer Question

What does it mean when a Panasonic plasma flat screen tv model TC-P50GT30 power light blinks seven times with no picture or sound
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 8 months ago.

Hello, Sorry you're having problems. What it means is that the Plasma display processing in the set has a failure in one of the components (this is made up of the Sustain boards, Driver boards and the Plasma display panel itself). While Panasonic sets are designed with error codes (1-13 blink patterns) these codes simply point to a STARTING point for a Tech to begin troubleshooting, which requires removing plugs, checking for a change in blink codes, and also measuring live voltages using a Multi-meter.

In most cases on a 50" Panasonic Plasma, you are looking at either failed Sustain boards (between $300-$450 parts and labor), or even a faulty panel (not repairable).

However it's worth it to try a hard reset, as sometimes the processor in the TV can simply have locked up.

The first thing you would try, is disconnect the set from power, then press and hold the power button on the TV itself (not the remote), for 10 seconds and release. Then plug the set back in, and also check that the power cord is connected tight at the TV as well. Press power once, and see if the set powers up normally. Try this procedure up to 2 times, and see if there is any change in symptoms.

Expert:  Aric replied 8 months ago.

If the symptoms are identical (or the blink code changes to 8 or 6), then this indicates problems with the Sustain boards failing. They are responsible processing the Plasma display and are common failures for this type of TV. There are associated Driver and Buffer boards that work in tandem with the Sustain boards as well, and in most cases a shop will replace those boards too. The average cost for this type of repair is around $300-$450 parts and labor.

Given that a brand new 50" LED TV can be purchased for about the same cost as repairing this set, it may make more sense to put that same money towards replacement of the set- versus repairs.

However if you would like to inquire about repairs, or seek a 2nd opinion, you can use the link below to locate a shop in your area if you'd like:

http://www.tvrepairpros.com

Other than that, I'm sorry for the bad news and wish there were a quick fix.

If you need further assistance let me know. Before you go, PLEASE DO click at least a 3 STAR RATING, at the top of your screen. That is how I am credited for my efforts by the site. You can follow up any time as needed at no additional cost.

Expert:  Aric replied 8 months ago.

I also wanted to provide the following, if you are a DIY type and looking to attempt repairs on the set yourself, and there is a service/training manual at the link below which covers your set:

http://k6jrf.com/2011_Panny_Plasma_Tech-Guide_Manual.pdf

Expert:  Aric replied 8 months ago.

Available parts for this model are available at the following link for sale as well:

http://www.shopjimmy.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=TC-P50GT30

Expert:  Aric replied 8 months ago.

Hello, I was just following up to see if you needed further help. The site shows that since the question is open that you are still looking for help. Or, if you received the information you were looking for-could you please kindly rate my service POSITIVELY (by clicking a 3-5 star rating at the top of the page) to reflect that? Thanks in advance.