Jack
Jack, Technician
Experience:  40 years experience as audio,video repair and installation tech
39158752

I cannot adjust the volume on my tv nor can i turn it on or

Customer Question

I cannot adjust the volume on my tv nor can i turn it on or off using the factory remote
JA: What's the make and model of your television? And is the remote the same, universal, or for another device?
Customer: vizio model 552vl the original remote is not working for those issues nor is the cable company's working i have changed batteries with both and still no results
JA: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?
Customer: the menu on the cable remote works i donot know about the tv factory remote
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: the problem started the day before yesterday
JA: Anything else you want the TV expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: TV
Expert:  Jack replied 7 months ago.

Hi , I`m Jack and I will be helping you today
Please note that I am an independent tech. that depends on your positive rating to get paid by this website and I have no control over the phone (or other) offers , they are sent by the website ,not by me but let me know if you`d rather do this on the phone.
That being said , a few questions coming up ;
Please let me know when you are ready to proceed .

Expert:  Jack replied 7 months ago.

Do you mean that the cable company remote used to be programmed for this tv and stopped working as well and at the same time ?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Expert:  Jack replied 7 months ago.

If both your remotes stopped working at the same time then you are more than likely looking at a remote sensor problem , very common on vizio TV's by the way .

You can get that board at the link below for $10 and is easy to replace once the back cover is opened , here is that link ;http://www.shopjimmy.com/vizio-3642-0242-0189-ir-sensor.htm

This is Plug&Play ,no solder or adjustments and if you or a friend is handy with a screwdriver and can remove the back cover then you can do this yourself, no special tools required.

If that is not your cup of tea so to speak then to have this repaired at home could cost you around $200 parts included and perhaps $50 less if you take it to the shop yourself

Expert:  Jack replied 7 months ago.

If you need to find repair shops near you then look at the link below and enter your zip code ;
www.tvrepairpros.com
This will give you a list of NESDA member repair shops in your area.
This list may be limited though and you may find more the yellow pages or simply google "tv repairs" and the name of your town .
You could give a call to different shops in your area to get an idea of their rates , it pays to shop around .

Let me know if you have other questions and if not then please do not forget to rate by clicking on the star icons at the top, then click on Submit so i get paid for my time helping you .
Also note that it will not close this post , you can come back here at any time if you need further info or help .
Thank you