Jack
Jack, Technician
Experience:  40 years experience as audio,video repair and installation tech
39158752

There is a dark band through the middle third of the screen,

Customer Question

there is a dark band through the middle third of the screen
JA: What's the model number of your TV? How old is it?
Customer: 47 inch E470i-AO maybe a year old
JA: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?
Customer: haven't tried another source yet
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: we just returned from two months away while a friend satyed at our place and found it when we returned
JA: Anything else you want the TV expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: guess not
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: TV
Expert:  Jack replied 1 month ago.

Hi , I`m Jack and I will be helping you today
Please note that I am an independent tech. that depends on your positive rating to get paid by this website and I have no control over the phone (or other) offers , they are sent by the website ,not by me but let me know if you`d rather do this on the phone.
That being said , a few questions coming up ;
Is that band vertical or horizontal ?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
horizontal
Expert:  Jack replied 1 month ago.

O.k and just another question on this , does it show over the tv`s own menu or the menu covers it ?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I not sure if I understand. Do you mean the tv menu accessed from the remote?
Expert:  Jack replied 1 month ago.

Yes the tv`s own menu , not cable box but the one that opens with the tv`s remote

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I haven't tried looking while the menu is displayed
Expert:  Jack replied 1 month ago.

Or is it visible over anything that shows up on the screen for that matter

Expert:  Jack replied 1 month ago.

Can you try that menu to confirm ??

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I would say yes. Whenever there is programing on, you can see the slightly darker area through the middle third.
Expert:  Jack replied 1 month ago.

Thanks , please give me a couple of minutes to type this down

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
It would be difficult at this time.
Expert:  Jack replied 1 month ago.

Thanks for waiting ,

This is a LCD tv and i`m afraid that there is only one possible cause for a problem like this and that is a defective LCD panel .
Anytime you have horizontal lines , shadows or blobs /spots etc. on a lcd tv and it shows no matter what is on the screen then it is a sure sign of a defective panel.
As a rule of thumb the LCD panel cost around 80% of the original cost of the tv and then it has to be stripped down and rebuilt around the new panel and then again that is if you can find a new panel.
When under warranty most companies will replace the tv , not the panel.
Sorry to say but this makes the tv practically un-repairable due to the high cost and again that is even if you could find a replacement panel

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news today but i`d rather tell you straight and spare you a waste of time and money

Let me know if you have other questions and if not for now then please do not forget to rate by clicking on the star icons at the top of your page, then click on Submit so i get paid for my time helping you .
Also note that it will not close this post , you can come back here at any time if you need further info or help .
Thank you

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thanks. I'll look back to when it was purchased and see if there is any recourse.
Expert:  Jack replied 1 month ago.

Much welcome and please do not forget to rate with the stars at the top of your page (and SUBMIT) so i can get compensated for my time helping you.

Expert:  Jack replied 1 month ago.

Any questions on this ?
Remember that you can come back here at any time after rating (no additional charges) if you have other questions related to that