Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company

My tv picture and sound was gone for 2 yrs and I called a

My tv picture and sound was gone for 2 yrs and I called a repairman to come check it out. He came and said that he hD to replace a ballast circuit. After he repaired it as soon as I turned my tv on the next day it had a warning saying the the lamp need to be reset or replaced. I called the repairman back out and he said that he would need the remote and I told be came the first time. He came out 2-4 times and said that he could not reset it without the remote. The last time he came out he said that the part was in good condition and did not need to be replaced. The picture is discolored and we can't see the picture clear as well as the warning still comes on.

Hello, Sorry you're having problems. What is the model number off of the back of this TV in your question please?

Please review my post and reply back so we can continue.

I was just wondering if you needed assistance with the question you posted?

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Model # PT-81LCX65
Serial # F5AA12011

Thanks for the reply. Looking up that set now...

First, the picture being discolored does not have to do with the Lamp, Ballast or the Timer needing to be reset. That is indicative of a failing "Light Engine" within the TV, which is the most expensive part of the TV and NOT cost-effective to replace. The Light Engine produces all of the colors and whenever we see discolored images on the set, this is a tell-tale sign that the light engine is failing and needs to be replaced. This is offhand a $650 repair on this set, and I would recommend against putting that kind of money into an older DLP since there are other components that will start to fail in short time causing the set to turn into a "money pit" so to speak.

So the issue does go beyond the lamp timer, and does require expensive repairs that are not related to the ballast. However if you would still like to reset the lamp timer then you WILL NEED the original Panasonic remote as your previous tech indicated. That remote can be purchased at the link below for your set:

Other than that, I'm sorry for the bad news here and wish there were a quick fix.

If you need further assistance let me know. Before you go, PLEASE DO click at least a 3 STAR RATING, at the top of your screen. That is how I am credited for my efforts by the site. You can follow up any time as needed at no additional cost.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Thank you!
You're welcome, and if you need further assistance let me know. Also, if you have not already, please do click a 3-5 star rating at the top of the page for my efforts.