Shahid
Shahid, Technician
Experience:  I have been repairing electronic gear since 1993 as a qualified Sony tech
33243543

Its an LG LEDTV 42L5400 - 3 years old and the sound works

Customer Question

its an LG LEDTV 42L5400 - 3 years old and the sound works but picture went to black. I unplugged for 5 mins and replugged and no diff. help
JA: Has this happened before? And have you tried unplugging your LG and leaving it off for a few hours?
Customer: it has not happened before. I unplugged for 5 mins only.
JA: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?
Customer: what is tv menu? there is no picture at all on tv
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: this started this am. tv was on and all working, then picture went to black but sound remained. i can change channels but no picture comeson.
JA: Anything else you want the TV expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: is there any warranty on this unit? I have heard about LG ' one time repair ?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: TV
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 month ago.

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you today. To make sure I don’t miss anything, please give me a minute to review your question.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
you just took 38.00 out of my account. Please return it immediately. I only agreed to 5.00
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
no. please return 35.00
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
are you there?
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 month ago.

Yes, I'm here and working on it.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I am very unhappy with this conversation. whatare you doing for me besides taking my money for doing nothing?
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 month ago.

Please contact customer service for any billing/ money matters as I have no control over such things.

Thanks.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
what is the answer to my question?
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 month ago.

I'm just a TV tech and user of this website like you, I have no control over billing and unable to take your money, however, I can troubleshoot the issue and can tell what is likely bad in TV.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
what is your answer?
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 month ago.

I need bit more info about TV symptoms.

- Does screen glow/ show backlight when turn On the TV?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Just a slight imprint in background but mostly dark
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Are you on line
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 month ago.

OK, there is a test that will help to diagnose the problem.

Turn On the TV and get program sound, shine a good flashlight on TV screen closely with 45 degree, do you observe faint/ dim image inside screen?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I get an immage
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
are we still speaking?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
hello Shahid, are you there?
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 month ago.

Typing the reply/ info takes some time so little patience is needed.

Expert:  Shahid replied 1 month ago.

Based on info I got in this conversation, it seems TV has got problem with backlight system that is why screen stays black though image is there yet it isn't visible due to backlight system failure inside screen.

There are two possible reason, either power supply board isn't providing volts to backlight LEDs inside screen or the LEDs have been failed and entire screen will need to be replaced (LEDs can be replaced but screen will need to take apart and this kind of work should be done by qualified and experienced TV tech).

Power supply board replacement will confirm it, either it will fix the problem or confirm that screen is defective and at that point you would be better off with a new TV instead of spending money and time on screen replacement because it would cost more than new TV of same size.

I trust my input will help you out to make decision about this TV repair or invest that money on new replacement TV.
If you have any additional questions, feel free to ask. If you're satisfied, please rate me a 5-star at the top of your page.
Thank you

Expert:  Shahid replied 1 month ago.

Do you need any further assistance with this TV question?
Thanks.