Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

My hitachi model 42hdt52a will not hold the aspect I have

My hitachi model 42hdt52a will not hold the aspect I have chosen; it defaults to 4:3 expanded instead of 16:9 standard. I have Direct TV.
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Hitachi is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: Serial Number: V6B01634. Manufactured: 02/2006
JA: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?
Customer: TV works great; I really don't use other sources/inputs.
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: This started several weeks ago; cannot remember anything unusual.
JA: Anything else you want the TV expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: The power swivel, when turned on, is always locked. This has been going on for at least a year. If I want to use the power swivel, I need to go into the menu to unlock.

Hello, In most cases this issue is actually rooted in the DirecTv box (and not your TV).

First, reboot the Cable/SAT box by disconnecting it from power for 10 seconds and plugging it back in. Upon rebooting, if the screen aspect is still incorrect, then look for the following buttons on the Cable/SAT remote:

Aspect
Zoom
HD Zoom
Ratio
(#) symbol under the 9 key

Find any buttons with those labels and use them to attempt to correct the picture size. If you are unable to find those buttons, or they don't help, then the settings are hidden deeper in the Cable Box and I will need the BRAND and MODEL of the DirecTv box (for example: VIP 2200, etc.).
If you need further assistance let me know. Before you go, PLEASE DO click at least a 3 STAR RATING, at the top of your screen. That is how I am credited for my efforts by the site. You can follow up any time as needed at no additional cost.

Do you need further assistance with this?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Rebooting the system takes some time; I still may need further assistance.
Okay, sounds good. Let me know how you make out

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you for your advice; think we are good now.

That's good news. If satisfied with my efforts, could you please click a 3-5 star rating at the top of your page and hit SUBMIT so that I am credited by the site?