Nathan, Installer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.
59725966

My Pioneer Elite 50" Plasma screen is now frequently

My Pioneer Elite 50" Plasma screen is now frequently blinking a blue light rather than the normal red light. The blue light flashes 8 times and continues unless I reboot the system. Sometimes I need to reboot the screen several times to resume in order to use it.
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Pioneer is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: The tv is approximately 8 years old. PRO111FD
JA: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?
Customer: IDK.... TV menu?
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: I believe there were a series of power outages in this area. I have a surge protector on both TV's and it is only happening on the one for the most part, but it has happened to both. Both are 50"
JA: Anything else you want the TV expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: No...

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble with this but I'll do my best to help you.

Unfortunately, the issues you are experiencing are symptomatic of an internal hardware defect, most often a faulty power supply board, though there are many possible failure points. This issue could be a manufacturing defect, but is also often caused by a power event (shock/surge, prolonged over/under voltage condition, etc).

This could also be the result of age related wear and tear; as a 2008 model tv, that type of failure wouldn’t be surprising; this set is past its service life at this point, and plasma technology is long obsolete.

There is one step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluation:
1) Unplug the power cord from the outlet

2) Wait at least 1 hour (60+ Minutes)

3) Press and hold the power button (on the set, not the remote) for 60 seconds
4) Keep holding power button while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after. When plugging back in, go directly to the wall outlet, bypassing any power strips or surge protectors.

If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm an internal hardware failure.

This is something that would require repairs to correct; this will continue to get worse until it won't power on at all eentually.

If you're thinking about a do it yourself repair, you'll need to be comfortable and skilled with electronics repairs, which could include dismantling the set (removing the back panel of the tv), diagnostics testing with a multimeter, changing out boards as needed, and possibly desoldering/removing and soldering/replacing individual components.

If you’re considering repair at a local shop, you’ll find a typical repair to be around $400 for diagnostics, parts, and labor; assuming parts can even be found, which is unlikely as Pioneer has not even made tvs for 6 years now.

For a tv of this size/age however, replacement will make more sense. You can get a brand new LED tv with a fresh warranty in the $400 range.

Depending how you’d like to proceed here, I can help with finding parts, finding a repair shop, or recommending replacement options. Just let me know.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
If you could help me track down a business that may be able to fix this issue I would appreciate it very much.Thank you
Anthony

I can sure try, though many shops won't work on these pioneer sets because they can be very labor intensive. Can you give me your zip code?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Yep... I'm in 90066.It's just that I really love these tv'sand they are practically considered vintage:) they work great when they work, but rest assured I won't be putting to much time or money into extending their life as there are so many new options for connectivity and overall value.Thank you for the effort
Anthony

You're very welcome, Anthony.

Here are the closest repair shops you can check with: CLICK HERE

If looking to replace, In general, I recommend LED tv's for most of my clients. They have good picture quality and are reasonably priced. I recommend sticking to the name brands, which tend to be the most reliable, such as Panasonic, Samsung, LG. The “off brand” sets just aren’t worth the savings, they have high failure rates and are poorly supported if parts/repairs are ever needed. Example: I recommend sticking to the name brands, which tend to be the most reliable, such as Panasonic, Samsung, LG. The “off brand” sets just aren’t worth the savings, they have high failure rates and are poorly supported if parts/repairs are ever needed. Example: http://amzn.to/2esxLFY

Or, if you want to get the very latest technology, the new OLED tvs are as good as if not better than the plasmas: http://amzn.to/2dA8And

If you have any other questions, just let me know. Otherwise, please take a moment to rate my service as this is the only way I am credited for my time. Hopefully I have earned 5 Stars but if not please let me know what I can do to ensure you are satisfied. I also invite you to contact me directly with any future support needs at http://bit.ly/1QwLxGh and ask for Nathan.

Thank you, ***** ***** a nice day,