Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

It will not power on blue light on power button is pulsing

Customer Question

It will not power on blue light on power button is pulsing and there sort of a high pitch noise coming from the top right hand corner near vents. Blue light is flashing at the same pace as the sound coming from the vent.
JA: What's the model number of your TV? How old is it?
Customer: getting it now. unit is about 4yrs old
JA: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?
Customer: Yes the problem is with all of the sources. The first time it happened it came back on and I was able to select sources. I unplugged it to move it and this issue re-occuried.
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: I came home and my family just said that they tried to turn it on and this is what happened.
JA: Anything else you want the TV expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 1 month ago.

Hello, Sorry you're having problems. What is the model number off of the back of the TV please?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
LN S4695D
Expert:  Aric replied 1 month ago.

Thanks for the reply.

Offhand these symptoms would point to a hardware issue with either the power supply or the mainboard of the set. In many cases, once these sets get on in years (yours is in the 5-8 year range based on the model) these components are prone to fail and need to be replaced.

However it's worth it to try a hard reset, as sometimes the processor in the TV can simply have locked up.

The first thing you would try, is disconnect the set from power, then press and hold the power button on the TV itself (not the remote), for 10 seconds and release. Then plug the set back in, and also check that the power cord is connected tight at the TV as well. Press power once, and see if the set powers up normally. Try this procedure up to 2 times, and please let me know what happens.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
If it is the hardware, is it worth fixing or should I just buy another set?
Expert:  Aric replied 1 month ago.

If it is hardware, then you're generally looking at between $250-$275 parts and labor, with parts being hard to find (most are used/pulled) and it would be more cost effective to put that same money into replacing the set versus repairing it.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you. The same thing is happening. I will buy a new set. Thanks
Expert:  Aric replied 1 month ago.

I'm sorry to hear that and that would be money better spent as a brand new 46" LED would cost about the same as repairing it.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 month ago.

Other than that I'm sorry for the bad news and wish there were a quick fix.

If you need further assistance let me know. Before you go, PLEASE DO click at least a 3 STAR RATING, at the top of your screen. That is how I am credited for my efforts by the site. You can follow up any time as needed at no additional cost.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 month ago.

Do you need further assistance with this?

Expert:  Aric replied 1 month ago.

Hello, I was just following up to see if you needed further help. The site shows that since the question is open that you are still looking for help. Or, if you received the information you were looking for-could you please kindly rate my service POSITIVELY (by clicking a 3-5 star rating at the top of the page) to reflect that? Thanks in advance.