Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company

I turn the TV on, everything seems fine for 5 or 10 minutes,

JA: Hi. What seems to be the problem?
Customer: I turn the TV on, everything seems fine for 5 or 10 minutes, then the picture gets very dark - to the point of not being visible. If the TV was left on like that, with the picture not visible, it would reappear after an hour or two and work fine. Now, however, once the picture goes out after the first 5 or 10 minutes, it no longer comes back on. Is the TV shot or what?
JA: What's the make and model of your tv? Have you had any issues with the picture before?
Customer: RCA HD TV 52 inch.
JA: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?
Customer: Same problem on all sources, etc. Menu not visible once picture goes out.
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: It's been like this for a number of weeks now. Nothing special happened before this started, and as I indicated, at first the picture would come back on after maybe an hour or so of being dark, but now the picture does not reappear even if left on all day.
JA: Anything else you want the TV expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: Don't think so...

Hello, Sorry you're having problems. Is there any chance you can get me the model number off of the back of the RCA set please?

Also, roughly how old is the set please?

RCA made all kinds of 52" sets - rear projection, DLP (using a replaceable Lamp), LCD and LED TV. If you can get the model number this will help me look up which set you have. If you can't get that, the rough age will also help. Let me know.

Was just wondering if you needed assistance with this?

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
It's model R52WM24

Thanks for the reply. When the screen goes black, is it simply very dim, or completely black (no picture at all)?

Offhand when the screen goes black on these older rear projections, it's a failure in the high voltage circuit that drives the CRT's (the three colored tubes that produce the picture), or the CRT fluid is low and causing the tubes to shut down in protection mode. Just trying to see if you have a pitch black screen or simply a very dim screen.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
I guess I'm still wondering if the TV is fixable or not, and if so, could you give me a rough estimate of what it might cost to get it fixed. Also, if it is fixable, is it worth getting fixed in your opinion? The TV is around 12 years old.

Thanks for the reply. The screen going dark or black, is generally caused by a loss of high voltage from the power supply circuit to the CRT driver boards. This can be caused by several things (capacitors, transformer, regulators, etc.), but requires component level testing and replacement within the set. The average cost for this type of repair is between $300-$450 parts and labor on an older rear projection sets. Unfortunately, parts are also scarce for these sets (parts are no longer made in the 5-7 year mark). That said a replacement 55" LED TV starts at around $500 and would have a better picture, more features and be money better spent.
However if you would like to obtain another opinion, or inquire about repairs, then you can use the link below to locate a shop in your area if you'd like:

Other than that, I'm sorry for the bad news and wish there were a quick fix.
If you need further assistance let me know. Before you go, PLEASE DO click at least a 3 STAR RATING, at the top of your screen. That is how I am credited for my efforts by the site. You can follow up any time as needed at no additional cost.

Do you need further assistance with this?

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
I appreciate the answer, and even though it's not good news for me, I believe Aric is a fine technician and communicated his response very clearly. Thank you.