Nathan, Installer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.
59725966

I have a 60" Pioneer Kuro Plasma - 2009 model - purchased

I have a 60" Pioneer Kuro Plasma - 2009 model - purchased and installed in 2012. Rarely used as it is upstairs in my theater. Always worked when we had company & went upstairs to watch. Suddenly won't turn on and has 8 blue flashing lights then stops and 8 lights again, etc. I know they don't make this tv anymore - any suggestions?
JA: What's the make and model of your tv? Have you tried unplugging it and leaving it off for a few hours?
Customer: PDP -6020FD PIONEER KURO. YES, I tried that.
JA: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?
Customer: Screen is totally black
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: 2 days that I know of. Worked fine last month when I used it for a few hours.
JA: Anything else you want the TV expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: It is hooked up thru a BOSE surround system which works fine for fm stereo thru the speakers - the tv has no sound.

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble with this but I'll do my best to help you.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Ok
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No, type

Unfortunately, the issues you are experiencing are symptomatic of an internal hardware defect, meaning a faulty power supply or main/control board, though there are many possible failure points. This issue could be a manufacturing defect, but is also often caused by a power event (shock/surge, prolonged over/under voltage condition, etc).

This could also be the result of age related wear and tear; as a 2009 model tv, that type of failure wouldn’t be surprising; even with little use these sets have internal electronic components that wear out over time. As you know Pioneer doesn't make tvs at all anymore, and plasma technology as a whole is now obsolete.

There is one step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluation:
1) Unplug the power cord from the outlet

2) Wait at least 1 hour (60+ Minutes)

3) Press and hold the power button (on the set, not the remote) for 60 seconds
4) Keep holding power button while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after. When plugging back in, go directly to the wall outlet, bypassing any power strips or surge protectors.

If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm an internal hardware failure.

This is something that would require repairs to correct; if you're thinking about a do it yourself repair, you'll need to be comfortable and skilled with electronics repairs, which could include dismantling the set (removing the back panel of the tv), diagnostics testing with a multimeter, changing out boards as needed, and possibly desoldering/removing and soldering/replacing individual components.

If you’re considering repair at a local shop, you’ll find a typical repair to be around $500 for diagnostics, parts, and labor, assuming parts can even be found, which is unlikely.

For a tv of this type however, replacement will make more sense. You can get a brand new LED tv with a fresh warranty in the under $1000 range, though if you have a theater setup you may want to consider a projector instead.

Depending how you’d like to proceed here, I can help with finding parts, finding a repair shop, or recommending replacement options. Just let me know.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Can I unplug where the power plug goes into the tv on the back?

Yes either on the tv or at the outlet, either way is fine and has the same effect of disconnecting the power flow to the tv.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Great - I will try that

Thanks, ***** ***** luck!

Hello, it appears your question is still open.

Do you need more help with this?
If so, just reply back on this page. If I’ve answered your question, please let me know to conclude our session.

Please note: You have already paid your fee to the site; I'd like to help you and provide value for that fee, but I do need to communicate with you here to do so.