Nathan, Installer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.
59725966

My maxent 50" tv wont play my ps4, hold on 2 secs, we only

my maxent 50" tv wont play my ps4
JA: What's the model number of your TV? How old is it?
Customer: hold on 2 secs
JA: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?
Customer: we only have a ps4 we dont have cable it does play our laptop actually but no sound
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: we use a hdmi that we tested round a friends and it works
JA: Anything else you want the TV expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: before what popped up

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble with this but I'll do my best to help you.

Sorry it looks like you have 2 questions open,

can you please reply here, on the original, so we can get this resolved,

Does this happen with any source other than the ps4 (cable/satellite/dvd)?

I had your other question closed (otherwise you'd be paying double), please reply here when ready.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
a i being charged twice i found your site confusing i do not want to get charged twice for on question
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
you can call me but does that cost an extra $26 on top of the already $28
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
hello!?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
are you still there sir. ?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
calling nathan. come in nathan!

I closed the other question,

yes a call is additional,

to continue, please send only a single reply. Every time you send another message like this it gets lost in the queue and further delayed and prevents me from being able to reply back.

I've sent an optional phone support offer at your request. If you prefer we can continue here in the chat format as well. Just let me know either way.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
i dont want to pay any more than $30 to get a solution, thought this might be quick, but $55 seems too much. thanks

That is fine, we can continue here,

The issue is with either the resolution or HDCP capability (or lack of) with this tv.

The maxent is a very old and very basic model, it is capable of only a 720p display resolution and by default the ps4 is outputting 1080p for game content.

The menus work because they are lower resolution.
Go into the menu settings on the ps4 and look for the Display Options, and set the output format/resolution to 720p (instead of 1080 or auto) and let me know if that helps.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
i cannot get to the ps4 menu to access settings. in order to see anything i have to hold the ps4 power button down and enter safe mode. there i try to change resolution, (option 2) a load screen appears, it tells me it will restart, after it restarts enter the video output resolution.... i click ok and then nothing, (blue screen) the ps4 sounds like its working and i have checked it on another tv.

There are other ways to address it, you can hold the power button down until it beeps 3 times and it will drop down to the base resolution,

or you can hook it up to a newer/better tv that is fully supported, and then you can change the setting there, and move it back to the maxent.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
720x480 appears on the tv. if i hold the button down for 2 beeps, it turns itself off after the third beep... then nothing.

Can you try swapping it over to another tv and change the setting there?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
we tried around a friends house the other day, i went thought we changed the res. on the ps4, perhaps we didn't though i am pretty sure.. i could try again. how does this work now can we continue this until i have tried another time before i pay you.?

Well you already paid the site (just not me, until we finish), but yes you can follow up wth me here anytime, just bookmark/favorite this page and get back to me when you have a chance to test further

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
ok well, thanks so far i may be a few days before i get back to you as i am pretty busy but i will do my best to try and fit this in.
chat again again soo,
thanks man

No worries, take your time.

Just checking in, do you need more help with this?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
please.
i have no time until the weekend to take the ps4 to a friends, business is crazy right now.
if you can wait til then that would be awesome!!

No worries, take your time, just wanted to make sure the question thread stayed open, just shoot me a message this weekend when you have a chance to testl.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
nathan.
this did not work :[
still nothing!!

So with the resolution dropped down to the lowest setting and get nothing at all?
Or you get an error message?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
yep! nothing just a blue screen and a message on the screen saying "no support"Hi, by the way:)

Thanks for checking, and welcome back.

I was afraid that may happen, and even beyond the resolution issue it confirms a hdcp issue, meaning that this tv is just too old to be compatible - the PS cannot recognize it as a secure display and will not output any signal to it. There is really no fix for that, you could try an adapter to use component video, but that will limit some content as well. Really, the tv is just far past its service life and should probably be replaced though. I can recommend options for you, if you'd like.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
sure thing! any advice is welcome. we had a budget and picked this up off kijiji, everything was working fine for the last owner he had it plugged in and turned on to demonstrate it worked, even showed us his console working on it but it was a nintendo wii. maybe different and definitely older... anyways thanks for your help i will be sure to give the full 5 stars when we wrap uP soon.

The wii typically uses just a composite input as well, so that does make sense why it was working.

If looking for a replacement, I recommend sticking to the name brands, which tend to be the most reliable, such as Panasonic, Samsung, LG. The “off brand” sets just aren’t worth the savings, they have high failure rates and are poorly supported if parts/repairs are ever needed. Example: http://amzn.to/2dYWKT8

If you happen to be a costco member (or know someone who is) I'd suggest buying it there. They tend to have very good pricing to begin with, but will also double the factory warranty to 2 years instead of 1, and they have a square trade extended warranty you can buy up to an extra 5 years for $50 or so which is well worth it. Wherever you buy, I'd highly recommend the square trade warranty (the "store brand" warranties aren't worth the paper they’re printed on). You can get that here, no matter where you buy the tv: http://bit.ly/1fDPJ99

As a side note, I would not personally bother with a "smart" tv. You'll pay a premium for those features which end up being slow and glitchy and aren't well supported. By contrast you can spend 30-100 on a roku, roku4k, fire tv, htpc or smart bluray player and get all the same functions and many more, with better performance and lower cost.

Best regards, ***** ***** again for the news,

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
thanks chap!!have a good one.