Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience in the field and 5+ yrs. online, down to component level.

My maxent 50" tv wont play my ps4, hold on 2 secs, we only

Customer Question

my maxent 50" tv wont play my ps4
JA: What's the model number of your TV? How old is it?
Customer: hold on 2 secs
JA: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?
Customer: we only have a ps4 we dont have cable it does play our laptop actually but no sound
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: we use a hdmi that we tested round a friends and it works
JA: Anything else you want the TV expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: before what popped up
Submitted: 11 days ago.
Category: TV
Expert:  Nathan replied 11 days ago.

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble with this but I'll do my best to help you.

Expert:  Nathan replied 11 days ago.

Sorry it looks like you have 2 questions open,

can you please reply here, on the original, so we can get this resolved,

Does this happen with any source other than the ps4 (cable/satellite/dvd)?

Expert:  Nathan replied 11 days ago.

I had your other question closed (otherwise you'd be paying double), please reply here when ready.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
a i being charged twice i found your site confusing i do not want to get charged twice for on question
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
you can call me but does that cost an extra $26 on top of the already $28
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
are you still there sir. ?
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
calling nathan. come in nathan!
Expert:  Nathan replied 11 days ago.

I closed the other question,

yes a call is additional,

to continue, please send only a single reply. Every time you send another message like this it gets lost in the queue and further delayed and prevents me from being able to reply back.

Expert:  Nathan replied 11 days ago.

I've sent an optional phone support offer at your request. If you prefer we can continue here in the chat format as well. Just let me know either way.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
i dont want to pay any more than $30 to get a solution, thought this might be quick, but $55 seems too much. thanks
Expert:  Nathan replied 11 days ago.

That is fine, we can continue here,

The issue is with either the resolution or HDCP capability (or lack of) with this tv.

The maxent is a very old and very basic model, it is capable of only a 720p display resolution and by default the ps4 is outputting 1080p for game content.

The menus work because they are lower resolution.
Go into the menu settings on the ps4 and look for the Display Options, and set the output format/resolution to 720p (instead of 1080 or auto) and let me know if that helps.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
i cannot get to the ps4 menu to access settings. in order to see anything i have to hold the ps4 power button down and enter safe mode. there i try to change resolution, (option 2) a load screen appears, it tells me it will restart, after it restarts enter the video output resolution.... i click ok and then nothing, (blue screen) the ps4 sounds like its working and i have checked it on another tv.
Expert:  Nathan replied 11 days ago.

There are other ways to address it, you can hold the power button down until it beeps 3 times and it will drop down to the base resolution,

or you can hook it up to a newer/better tv that is fully supported, and then you can change the setting there, and move it back to the maxent.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
720x480 appears on the tv. if i hold the button down for 2 beeps, it turns itself off after the third beep... then nothing.
Expert:  Nathan replied 11 days ago.

Can you try swapping it over to another tv and change the setting there?

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
we tried around a friends house the other day, i went thought we changed the res. on the ps4, perhaps we didn't though i am pretty sure.. i could try again. how does this work now can we continue this until i have tried another time before i pay you.?
Expert:  Nathan replied 11 days ago.

Well you already paid the site (just not me, until we finish), but yes you can follow up wth me here anytime, just bookmark/favorite this page and get back to me when you have a chance to test further

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
ok well, thanks so far i may be a few days before i get back to you as i am pretty busy but i will do my best to try and fit this in.
chat again again soo,
thanks man
Expert:  Nathan replied 11 days ago.

No worries, take your time.

Expert:  Nathan replied 7 days ago.

Just checking in, do you need more help with this?

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
i have no time until the weekend to take the ps4 to a friends, business is crazy right now.
if you can wait til then that would be awesome!!
Expert:  Nathan replied 7 days ago.

No worries, take your time, just wanted to make sure the question thread stayed open, just shoot me a message this weekend when you have a chance to testl.