Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

I haved LOVED my Westinghouse flat screen tv. Abou a month

Customer Question

I haved LOVED my Westinghouse flat screen tv. Abou a month or so ago, the tv quit coming on. I would 'play' with it and hen after 3-4 days, it would turn back back on. I have been working on it now for over a week and it does not come on. However, it is getting power and. Have exchanged out the cable box and confirmed that it is working properly. Please help me get the orange light to turn blue and have the tv function properly again.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 1 month ago.

Hello, Sorry you're having problems. Offhand, on a Westinghouse set, when the light will not change from the "Standby" status to the "ON" status - this isn't something you can generally force to turn on. It is indicative of a component failing within the Westinghouse. More specifically the Mainboard of the TV is locked up and causing the issue and in most cases requires replacement of that board to fix the issue.

However it's worth it to try a hard reset, as sometimes the processor in the TV can simply have locked up.

The first thing you would try, is disconnect the set from power, then press and hold the power button on the TV itself (not the remote), for 10 seconds and release. Then plug the set back in, and also check that the power cord is connected tight at the TV as well. Press power once, and see if the set powers up normally. Try this procedure up to 2 times, and please let me know what happens.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 month ago.

If that does not work, it requires replacement of the TV's Mainboard. To give you more details on that, I need the following:

1) The full MODEL Number off of the back of the Westinghouse set.

2) The rough age of the TV.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 month ago.

Are you able to get any response from the TV please?

Expert:  Aric replied 1 month ago.

If you need further assistance let me know. Before you go, PLEASE DO click at least a 3 STAR RATING, at the top of your screen. That is how I am credited for my efforts by the site. You can follow up any time as needed at no additional cost.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I have already done thefirst step a few times with no success. I included the model # in my initial inquiry.
Expert:  Aric replied 1 month ago.

Thanks for the reply and those steps are the ONLY thing on a user level you can try.

The model number is ***** posted anywhere on this page, or I would not ask you for it again. Here is your post:

"I haved LOVED my Westinghouse flat screen tv. Abou a month or so ago, the tv quit coming on. I would 'play' with it and hen after 3-4 days, it would turn back back on. I have been working on it now for over a week and it does not come on. However, it is getting power and. Have exchanged out the cable box and confirmed that it is working properly. Please help me get the orange light to turn blue and have the tv function properly again."

So, can you get that number please and also tell me the ROUGH age of the set?

Expert:  Aric replied 1 month ago.

I can help you find the replacement part to fix the set with the model number.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The model number is *****
Expert:  Aric replied 1 month ago.

Thank you for the reply. Looking up this part for you now.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I'm. It sure I understand. Can you please help me understand what you are telling me?
Expert:  Aric replied 1 month ago.

That board is "plug and play" - meaning no soldering or special tools are needed to replace it. However the rearof the set must be removed.

If this is not something you're not comfortable with then a shop will charge typically $200 parts and labor for this repair and can be located at the following link:

http://www.tvrepairpros.com

Other than that, I'm sorry for the bad news and wish there were a quick fix.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I'm not sure . . .
Expert:  Aric replied 1 month ago.

Not sure about what exactly?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Are you telling me that to fix my tv I need to buy a new part which is the motherboard?
Expert:  Aric replied 1 month ago.

Yes that is correct.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
There are no other options to reset the firmware?