Jack
Jack, Technician
Experience:  40 years experience as audio,video repair and installation tech
39158752

I have a samsung Model UN60H7150 tv, exactly 2 years old.

Customer Question

I have a samsung Model UN60H7150 tv, exactly 2 years old. The picture went into some kind of x-ray mode on all stations. When I hit the menu button the menu bars and instruction come in fine. I have direct tv and my 2nd tv works fine, so I know it is not the feed from direct tv. Do you have any ideas?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: TV
Expert:  Jack replied 1 month ago.

Hi , I`m Jack and I will be helping you today
Please note that I am an independent tech. that depends on your positive rating to get paid by this website and I have no control over the phone (or other) offers , they are sent by the website ,not by me but let me know if you`d rather do this on the phone.
That being said , a few questions coming up ;
Please let me know when you are ready to proceed .

Expert:  Jack replied 1 month ago.

Do you mean like a negative of a picture ?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
It still has color, but a negative is a good description
Expert:  Jack replied 1 month ago.

O.k then a negative or solarized would be another one

Anything else beside the direct tv connected ?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Just direct tv
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Still there?
Expert:  Jack replied 1 month ago.

Yes please give me time to type , slow typist at work here , much better with a solder iron

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
ok
Expert:  Jack replied 1 month ago.

O.k then here is something for you to try ;

Pull the satellite box`s power cord off the wall outlet (satr. box only) for a minute.
In the mean time turn off the tv and turn it back on only after you plug back the sat. box power cord.
Note that it may take a couple of minutes for the sat.box to reboot after you plug it back ,just give it time but watch the screen to see if it appears normal while it reboots

Expert:  Jack replied 1 month ago.

Let me know how that goes .

So far your tv looks fine if the menu shows up normal

Expert:  Jack replied 1 month ago.

Just saw that you did reboot the direct tv box , how did you do that anyway ?

Expert:  Jack replied 1 month ago.

Any luck with that ?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I unplugged it. Let it sit for a while. It had the same negative look during the reboot
Expert:  Jack replied 1 month ago.

O.k then not too many things can be wrong here , you either have a defective satellite box or HDMI input but I doubt the latter if your TV's menu shows up correctly .

You would need to try something else on that same input and cable to verify that or perhaps another hdmi cable

Expert:  Jack replied 1 month ago.

Do you have another tv that you could try on this setup or something like a dvd , game etc. on this tv

Expert:  Jack replied 1 month ago.

Are both of your tv `s running off the same satellite receiver ?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Expert:  Jack replied 1 month ago.

O.k then this means one of them is on a tv channel between 60 and 75 and the other connected directly

Which one is this one ?

Expert:  Jack replied 1 month ago.

Is it the main tv ?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Not sure. The TV that I am having issues with is the main tv that the direct tv is connected to.
Expert:  Jack replied 1 month ago.

O.k then there is some troubleshooting to be done , namely either trying to switch the cables from one tv to the other for a test or trying some other piece of equipment , even an old vcr would do it

Expert:  Jack replied 1 month ago.

Sorry but there is no clear cut answers here , you will have to do some tests although as I said ,I suspect the direct tv box is the culprit

Expert:  Jack replied 1 month ago.

If disconnecting and/or changing cables is not your cup of tea then you could have the direct tv people come around to take a look and especially if they are the ones that connected this to start with

Expert:  Jack replied 1 month ago.

Whatever you do , do not have them diagnose this online , they are trained to blame your setup first and then you got to prove otherwise