Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience in the field and 5+ yrs. online, down to component level.
13948492

I got a vizio tv model vw46lfhdtv20a at first tv wouldn't

Customer Question

I got a vizio tv model vw46lfhdtv20a at first tv wouldn't come on just a very quick flash some times so I changed the inverter bd. got the tv on but 1/4 screen was dark so tapping tv it opened up but at times it had flickering quick lines finaly got a full screen and no flickering lines but had a bad picture like jello .Could this be bad t-con or a bad ribbon connectors to the panel. Thanks Larry
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: TV
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 month ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

That sort of problem ('jello screen' as it were, with quivers and rippling) is most likely to be an electronics problem, a board.

Actually, it could be a defective filter capacitor in either the power supply, or on the boards. That is most likely, if the rippling is regular and constant. If it is irregular or variable, not so likely.

To spot a bad capacitor, look for signs of overheating (rare with caps, admittedly), or more likely bulging tops, or leakage of fluid from the capacitor. Replace all capacitors with bulging tops and/or leakage... those are bad caps for sure.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
There is no quivering or rippling also I just sent you 6 pictures they say a picture is worth a 1000 words.

Thanks for posting the pictures!

I'm looking them over now...

Picture quality is very bad, beyond a doubt.

Not being terribly sure, I must say, but I should recommend looking for bad capacitors (a very common problem in modern TVs) and also it might be a defective Y-Sus board, but also it could be a wrong voltage on the power supply (which is why I recommend looking for bad capacitors first. Esp. in the power supply board.)